Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A 49 Packard is my first classic car. A Journey.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
This is the information I didn't know to ask for. I get her july 9th and I cant wait to check these things out.

Little stressed about the finess some of this is going to need but I'm dedicated so I'll figure it out.

Kinda wish I had a packard guy with me when she gets off the truck but I guess that's part of the fun.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 21:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
I (we) were young once too, sure wish I still had some of the energy that is now gone.

Dad's 23rd series Packard became mine in 1960, maybe in 61 traded it on a Triumph TR3 which lasted a short time, before it was traded for a cute girl and a 55 Packard 400. We later added a nice 55 Clipper before purchasing our first "new" car in 1964.

Long dry spell, our 48 was purchased in 2003 and the 40 in 2012. Time, energy, money, (lack of) they mostly collect dust, but I get to show them off and talk to guests that visit our tiny motel.

Posted on: 2022/7/3 6:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I cranked up my '46 to move it around today. The neighbor had some folks over and the kids invited The Oldsters (:rolleyes:) over to cook burgers and talk about stuff - mostly Harleys, actually. But Ol' Fred was out on full display even if no one much inquired.

We'll all go somewhere later this week. I'm leaving her home for the National. I want to look at stuff and no wrestle with moving the freaking car. Not like it'll get lonely.

Posted on: 2022/7/4 19:17
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
It's awesome how this stuff can bring together the neighbors. This was a week ago getting her off the truck. Almost every neighbor stopped by to see what the commotion was. It was a magical experience I'll tell you what.

Attach file:

jpeg  Resized_20220707_192928.jpeg (210.29 KB)
225619_62d61d325753b.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/7/18 21:55
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quick run down of the problems I ran i to....

Got the car off the truck, wouldn't start.

Took 2 days to realize the fuel pump was unplugged when securing it for transit

Got her driving, would stall constantly. Found a loose bolt holding the fast idle arm in. Fixed it ran great

When figuring out the fuel pump problem someone pushed my overdrive knob. It slipped into overdrive while checking the gears and locked in overdrive with it my knowledge.

Go to back out of the driveway and it won't go into reverse. It's locked out while in over drive. Took a couple days of research and I used a battery to essentially jump the overdrive solenoid.

Worked.

I'm cruising now boys!

Posted on: 2022/7/18 22:01
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
First wash, no wax yet

Attach file:

jpg  20220718_184241.jpg (272.61 KB)
225619_62d61edf471c3.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/7/18 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Have fun!!!

Posted on: 2022/7/19 4:51
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hutmo
See User information
Congrats.

We both have Lots to learn. I am on the same track with you. I had air cooled VW's my entire life and then made the big jump, straight to a '46 Packard Clipper 7 passenger sedan. Water cooled? Radiators? Over Drive? I'm so confused!!!! :)

There are tons of resources available.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride.

Chris (HUTMO)

Posted on: 2022/7/19 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Beautiful car. Take a little care as there is something amiss with your overdrive. There should be no need to do anything to make the car back up other than put the car in reverse and let out the clutch. That is true whether the knob is in or out

It seems that your overdrive is staying engaged even at a stop which tells me that it is wired up wrong or the governor, which tells the OD when to become available, is stuck "on".

Get a little more experience with the car and let us know what it is doing. If the OD continues to give you fits just remove its fuse till its figured out. OD is a very valuable feature as it makes the car easily capable of highway speeds.

Posted on: 2022/7/19 12:05
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Beautiful car. Take a little care as there is something amiss with your overdrive. There should be no need to do anything to make the car back up other than put the car in reverse and let out the clutch. That is true whether the knob is in or out

It seems that your overdrive is staying engaged even at a stop which tells me that it is wired up wrong or the governor, which tells the OD when to become available, is stuck "on".

Get a little more experience with the car and let us know what it is doing. If the OD continues to give you fits just remove its fuse till its figured out. OD is a very valuable feature as it makes the car easily capable of highway speeds.

I've read alot about how some guys will bypass the kickswitch and governor and it excites me to be I'm the position to "fix" it. I'm fully ready to assume that it was a mix of user error and the lose carb bolt causing a shut down while in overdrive and putting her away that night upset about the stalls. More so I'm praying it's that simple lol

Posted on: 2022/7/20 0:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved