Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Torque spec????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I recently had a brake and clutch master cylinder re-sleeved for an MGA, and the guidance I received back from Apple Hydraulics was to not use silicone as it was unknown whether the rubber parts/seals are incompatible with silicone.

Posted on: 2022/7/3 5:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
That's ridiculous and suggests a company looking for loopholes of disputes over shoddy work. Because we know of no one driving any vintage car using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid in the proscribed manner having a problem. Ever.

Follow the product's directions.

Posted on: 2022/7/3 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Several rebuilders of power brake boosters will not honor their warranties if DOT 5 is used.

DOT 5 is also responsible for very short service life of some hydraulic brake light switches, most notably the one used on torsion level 55-56 Packards.

Posted on: 2022/7/3 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
DOT 5 has a swelling agent added to mimic the effect of DOT 3 & 4. I have yet to see a manufacturer's bulletin regarding changing the brake fluid in a modern car from DOT 3 & 4 to DOT 5. DOT 5 is OEM for Harley-Davidson and AMG.

One rumor is that mixing fluids will cause problems. That is not true. When I was at DOD we found personnel mixing brake fluids with no ill effects.

As for the brake switches I had problems with those switches with modern DOT 3 which is not the same as the old stuff - that is the DOT 3 that required metal master cylinders. I did work on a 56 that came out of long term storage and had the old DOT 3 in it. I saved some of that old fluid in a vial to use as a reference. Exposed to light it turned brown. So I think those switches are responding to the new fluids.

The bottom line is that I suspect those warnings are more a legal liability issue the same way as the labels on a modern car oil and master cylinder. Motor rebuilders don't want to warrantee their work if someone is putting the wrong weight oil in their motors.

Posted on: 2022/7/4 7:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved