Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Advice from those in the know on 1949 Super 8 Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Clarification on the air cleaner assembly. There were two air cleaners available: a standard one with a copper element at the end and an optional oil bath air cleaner. In the photos, the blue car has the standard element, and the yellow car has the optional oil bath air cleaner. Either would be correct for your car.

I found a scan of the 1948 accessories brochure online at the PAC website. Here is a link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/48%20Accessories.pdf

Posted on: 2022/7/1 17:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'll wager that the large oil bath air cleaner assembly is the same was was used on the big 21 series cars, provided that the intake throat on the carburetor is the same size. Wat does have a spare that came with a parts engine.

So, question is, which carb is on the 327? I'd like to know for curiosity's sake if nothing else. The 282 used the 512S and the 356 used the 531S (going on memory here).

Posted on: 2022/7/1 17:22
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
The PAC website has a reference chart showing which carbs were used by Packard by year and model. Correct carb for the 327 CI 22nd series is a Carter WD-0 643. This is from the chart for the model. Last number is the Packard part number from the service catalog.

1948 8 327 Su8 Carter WD-0 643 395662

Posted on: 2022/7/1 17:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
1947 Super 8 did use a Carter 531.

1947 8 356 Su8 Carter WD-0 531 377736

Posted on: 2022/7/1 17:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Max

As packardsix1939 said, two air filters were available . . . The standard item that looks quite like the one you have, and the optional oil bath filter. You will see a photo of the oil bath in the accessory catalog that packardsix1939 provided a link to. Your air filter and the one on my ’48 288 look quite similar, although the parts catalog list different part numbers. The steady rest (filter housing to cylinder head) looks identical. The optional oil bath air filter looks ‘horizontal’, but that portion is nothing more than ductwork/sound attenuation . . . the filtration is vertical, air flow upward at the portion of the filter that is mounted on the driver’s side of the car. Most of the volume on the standard air filter is for sound attenuation. The filtration is radially inward at the gauze. Your current air filter looks correct for the 2202 chassis standard configuration.

I don’t believe there is any difference in the air horn diameter 288 v. 327, so the difference between the two standard air filters may be the gauze height to keep the velocity (objectionable noise) about the same between the two configurations or tuning the attenuation feature at higher airflow. We can exchange information on diameters and heights of the standard filter configuration.

dp

Posted on: 2022/7/1 18:43
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved