Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Twin Ultramatic fluid?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul
See User information
Have here a '56 Ultramatic that has been dry for some years after rebuild. Condsidering synthetic ATF (Quaker State). Does anyone have experience or comments?

Posted on: 2022/7/4 12:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Twin Ultramatic fluid?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Contact Ross Miller, He is Mr. Ultramatic. He is in Maryland, rebuilt my Ultra. His Phone No (410) 357 4561.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 12:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd wait for a reply from Ross Miller and rely heavily on his advice, he's the authority on Ultramatics.

But IMO full synthetic would be a rather poor choice. Ultramatics, Twin or otherwise, were designed around the fluid of the day, Type A. The closest we have today is Type F, followed by FA. These fluids are characterized by a "grippiness" (or lack of slipperiness) to promote quick engagements and firm shifts; the more modern type fluids use friction modifiers to give more slip to the engagement, a feature not desired in an Ultramatic. This is the reason that older, worn Ultramatics often benefit from use of Trick Shift, a fluid with additives to make it more "sticky" and resultant shifts more firm.

If your transmission was rebuilt using modern friction surfaces as used in today's transmissions, then conventional Dexron should be satisfactory, though it still wouldn't be my choice.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I'm with dave. On this

I'm using WalMart type F.
No problem. Cause I was figuring out shift points.

And couldn't see throwing out

High priced oil.

Dropping the pan.

When satisfied on shift. Full case of trick shift going in.

Had it in before.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 19:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Type F.

Posted on: 2022/8/18 20:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved