Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pulling an engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hey all, I’m trying to pull the engine from my 1948 Super Eight but I can’t seem to find where the bolts that hold the engine to the bell housing are. Can anyone point me in the right direction; or perhaps should I pull the engine out with the transmission attached? This is my first time pulling an engine and I could really use some help.

Posted on: 2022/7/9 10:42

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Pulling an engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want to pull them individually you will need to remove the transmission and then lift the engine out. Unless you have hoisting equipment already hooked up to the engine for support you will need to hold the rear of the engine up with a jack and a block of wood under the oil pan while pulling the transmission. Removing the trans involves disconnecting drive shaft and linkages, removing the rear crossmember and then the 4 or 5 bolts actually holding the the trans to the bellhousing. You will also need to support the heavy trans so it stays relatively level and does not tip downward and put stress on the clutch plate as it slides back to let the input shaft clear the bellhousing. After trans is out bolts holding the bellhousing are located inside the bellhousing behind the flywheel so the flywheel needs to come off too if removing the bellhousing. It only needs to be off when engine goes to a machine shop and sometimes not even then.

In practice, as long as you have hoisting equipment capable of holding the weight and length and can also raise the engine above the grill at a fairly steep angle and level it off again as the engine passes over, most have found it a bit easier and less time consuming to pull the radiator and cradle and lift out the engine/trans as a unit. Removing the cradle can be involved though since other components -- mainly the fenders -- also bolt to it. If your lifting equipment cannot raise the engine high and at an angle then you will need to remove the entire front clip. That way the engine only has to lift high enough to clear the front crossmember.

PS: After the trans is out the throwout bearing and carrier will remain inside the bellhousing. There is a short spring between the carrier and bellhousing with its end attached to a clevis pin inserted thru a hole in the bellhousing just outside the large center hole on the passenger side. After the transmission is out nothing but the spring is keeping the pin in place. Often the spring has broken previously or can become disconnected when the trans is removed so take care to find and secure or remove the clevis pin so it does not fall out and get lost. If it is lost, a workable modern replacement is available but not always easily found in local stores.

Posted on: 2022/7/9 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The 1951-54 manual transmission was essentially the same as the 1948 manual transmission, and there are some good photos in the 1951-54 service manual on this site, and in the 1951-54 Parts book. Look at both the section on the transmission and the section on the clutch.

But, essentially, you remove the 5 cap screws that attach the transmission to the clutch housing to remove the transmission (after having blocked it up, etc.). You don't remove the clutch housing itself.

1951-54 Service Manual

Posted on: 2022/7/9 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Depending on how much space you have pulling the nose assembly might be less painful. I used that method a lot on cars that had fasteners in good condition. With the wheels off and the car on jack stands an ordinary hoist goes high enough to roll it forward and off.

Attach file:

jpg  2216.jpg (256.37 KB)
373_62c9f63d1e8dc.jpg 1495X1212 px

Posted on: 2022/7/9 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you search this topic, pulling engine you'll find it is covered fairly well, pictures, etc. and what equipment you'll need.
It's fairly heavy piece around 1000 lbs with manual trans, plan accordingly. Most of the chinese take out engine hoists won't cut it. All depends on how high you can lift whether or not you need to remove sheet metal. It's rather entailed to remove the front clip but some of that has to go to get the front half halo mount off. I think I pulled the radiator and support/shrouds first.

Posted on: 2022/7/11 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
If you search this topic, pulling engine you'll find it is covered fairly well, pictures, etc. and what equipment you'll need.

Where can I find this information?

Posted on: 2022/7/12 17:42

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Go the the "Forums"

Go to "postwar" 1946-1954.

At the bottom where it has a search bar, type in "engine hoist" and hit return.

Try also "engine removal" and "transmission removal"

Posted on: 2022/7/12 18:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Google found this:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18101

In this YouT000b, they pull and engine from a '47 and leave the grille in place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jFheOt3CtI

Posted on: 2022/7/13 4:43
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved