Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician from Bring A Trailer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Electric lock was an option and only locked so all 4 door cars even with the option had the standard manual "button" to control the rear locks from the inside. Push down to lock and pull up to unlock the rear doors. A plastic or rubber button should be located at the front lower corner of the window. If the car had been parted it is possible someone removed the mechanism and it is also possible that if someone tried to remove the buttons incorrectly part of the mechanism was broken inside the door.

It is not possible to lock or unlock rear doors from the outside. The latch locking mechanism operates by a long rod coming from the button. It does not have the pieces the key cylinder on the outside handle needs to convert rotary to linear motion to operate the locking mechanism.

The button mechanism and location are shown in the red circles.

Attach file:

jpg  lock.jpg (241.28 KB)
209_630ebcfdbe1bc.jpg 1234X1310 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
As I understand you should be able to at least reinstall the mechanism and have locking doors. They should be easily available from parts dealers.

I disagree that wiring would be too difficult. I believe the wires would run from the dash behind the side footwear upholstery and under the door sill, which unscrews. Then you could probably fish them thru the B pillar. Question is whether your door still has that plastic piece the wires go through. And IDK if the doors had their own ground wire ran to the chassis. I would assume so. I admit I'm not the best source of info on this...

Anyway, if you were able to get the wires where they need to go (basically, dash to inside the door) the wiring would not be difficult for your mechanic.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 21:18
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The lock used a single wire which was a part of the power window loom and went to the solenoid in each door. Wire originates at the lock relay in the engine compt and then is spliced to go to the 4 doors.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I just took the solenoid s. Out of my parts car.

2 screws.

Yes like hh said 1 wire. Which is hot.

Spade type.

Need pictures to see what you have.
Or don't.

Look for a red. Wire

Posted on: 2022/8/30 22:36
Riki
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
So the rear locks on both rear doors simply push through whether the interior manual lock “button” is up or down.

It’s just really strange and no one I’ve shown it to in person quite understands why.

Let me see if my mechanic can take a few photos since the door panels are already off to fix the windows.

Posted on: 2022/8/31 0:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Oh. Yeah.

You don't need the solenoid .

They work just like a manual door lock.

Pull up ... Push down..

On any door to look push door handle foreword..

The automatic lock is for convenience../ emergency guess that can be put in .

The solenoid is a one shot.

Doesn't stay energized. Unless you hold button up. Then it will probably burn up.

Posted on: 2022/8/31 2:04
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The power door locks were available only with power windows and I have a set of both power windows and locks with a reproduction harness to install in my 1956 Clipper. Since the car did not originally have them, it’s no easy task as the doors and jambs must be modified to provide the passageways for the wires.

Posted on: 2022/8/31 2:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Well, after more than $400 spent over 3 locksmiths all to not fix the problem. The best locksmith, who went all out and charged the least, (he wasn’t going to charge because it wasn’t fixed but I forcibly gave him $50 for over an hour of work and an hour or so of his research online). The diagnosis is the locking mechanism got bent and the push button could slide across the lock to push the manual locking lever up.

I found a workaround for the lock by removing the decorative push and using 2 nuts and a washer on the threaded levers. The washer barely fits and there is enough wiggle room that I can lock it to the lip if I push the lever over a few mm.

It’s not wonky it’s “hot rod style,” 😄and I feel better now that my door locks.

Attach file:

jpeg  CB1D542F-2F3C-4049-8B06-C7F857A7D9F1.jpeg (67.04 KB)
225635_63225c52b2da7.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2022/9/14 17:57
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
How concerned should I be over the white smoke and liquid coming out of the exhaust when warming up?

Video:https://youtube.com/shorts/2KcLv98N1o4?feature=share

From a very basic online sleuthing it looks like head gasket issue. Just kinda hoping it’s not.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 21:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I assume you've had the car on before and it didn't do that?

Looks like a head gasket leak on the driver side to me. Check the oil, if it's milky/cloudy then it's definitely a head gasket leak.

Replacing a driver side head gasket is really not the worst thing in the world as long as your exhaust system is not rusted solid. Gaskets are easily available. You can do it with a buddy in your driveway.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 21:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved