Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Just bought my first Packard - a 1954 Henney ambulance
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
AFAIK: Packard would make the drivetrain and commercial chassis, and Henney would do the application-specific stuff. For example, the ambulances and hearses would leave the Packard plant looking the same, and Henney would finish/modify them for their end use.

Posted on: 2022/7/28 8:31
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As with the senior Henneys, they are true coach-build cars. The chassis was supplied assembled and probably with cowl and front fenders in place (that's why the Junior has a Clipper dash when it is not a Clipper), then sent to Henney to build the body. I am not sure if Packard supplied any of the door and fender stampings but probably not although I've not yet read the book on Henney so it's possible they did. Most hearses and ambulances over the years were built that way with just the chassis and cowl to start with although later models included the doors and rear fenders too. Earlier Henneys with removable rear fenders also had those included. Stretches and conversions from passenger cars, of course, were an other matter but Henney didn't build theirs that way.

Another thing but I don't know if applies to the Junior, all that I've seen in the 1951-1954 era had the overdrive transmission even if it wasn't ordered. If ordered, a different rear end ratio was used and the overdrive connected.

And finally, all of my Henneys including my former 1948 Landaulet used the same key. I understand that they could be ordered with a different key code but none of mine have been so very possible that my key would fit your locks and ignition too!

Posted on: 2022/7/28 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Fun fact, all of Chrysler's Turbine Cars were completely identical, down to using the same key.

Wouldn't be surprised if Packard did the same to make it easier on fleet owners. No point wasting time searching for the correct ambulance key! Though it's curious that Henney would not order cars meant for hearses keyed separately. Perhaps they assumed no one would notice or care.

Posted on: 2022/7/28 11:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if applicable to the 51-4 Henney offerings but apparently it is with the 48-50s and that is Henney also made the front fenders taller to keep them more in proportion to the taller bodies. One of the reasons those fenders are not a direct interchange with other passenger models. One of the Packard books has a front photo showing a Henney and you can see the added height difference in the way the grill and bumper is treated.

Posted on: 2022/7/28 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though there are exceptions, most 1951-54 Henney products used B&S Key P-1500 for the ignition.

Posted on: 2022/7/28 11:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard is right for 1948-1950 Henneys. The front is taller so nothing on a Henney's sheet metal will fit a passenger car. The fenders are taller, and the grille has an extra row of egg crate in it. That was not so on the 1951-1954 models, however, as they were a bit better proportioned anyway and didn't need the higher front end and it wasn't done on prewar coaches either.

Posted on: 2022/7/28 11:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Congratulations.
Tom

Posted on: 2022/7/28 14:31
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jon
See User information
Can someone tell me what radiator cap to get for this car?

Posted on: 2022/7/31 21:52
1954 Packard Clipper Henney Jr. ambulance | 1960 Pontiac Catalina bubbletop
1963 Buick Le Sabre wagon | 1966 Buick Le Sabre sport coupe
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass | 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado W-34
1970 Buick Grand Sport | 1973 Pontiac GTO
1979 Lincoln Mark V | 1988 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Check out the cross-reference on this site:

Cross Reference -Radiator and Cooling

Posted on: 2022/7/31 23:20
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jon
See User information
Well, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to keep it. I literally can't get in it at this point, since I'm 6'5, 300 pounds, and the seat is much too far forward. The steering wheel is pressed hard into my chest. There's a storage cabinet behind the seat, and my thought was to shorten it to allow the seat to go back further, but that is where the spare tire is housed. The further along I go, the more changes I have to make, and I just don't want to keep going down that road. I'd rather it stay intact and go to a good home. I'll find something else I can make work. At least I'll have the photos to show the coolest car I'll probably ever own.

Posted on: 2022/8/4 15:17
1954 Packard Clipper Henney Jr. ambulance | 1960 Pontiac Catalina bubbletop
1963 Buick Le Sabre wagon | 1966 Buick Le Sabre sport coupe
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass | 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado W-34
1970 Buick Grand Sport | 1973 Pontiac GTO
1979 Lincoln Mark V | 1988 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved