Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Franks 1954 Clipper Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
John, Jim, Owen, HH56 - all. Thanks notes and for the information. I looked at the shifter again and didn't see any diamonds. Incidently, I noticed a Packard Super on Ebay under a 1954 Packard search is being sold as a parts car. For anyone who likes to track model numbers, they had a good picture of the door tag 5467-3588. There was not much left of the car but if anyone need a fender or hood, might be worth looking at - thanks Frank

Posted on: 2009/4/17 18:00
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frank you have the exact same model as I do. Just different paint and interior code.

Based on your VN# or 5467-3588 your car is early to mid production run. So I would gather a guess that your car has the standard Ultramatic and not the Gear-Start Ultramatic.

For comparison, my car is 5492-9578 and was close to being one of last cars off the assembly line. My engine has a casting date of 8/15/54, so pretty late in the production run. The Gear-Starts were only in the cars and the very end of the production run, and that is why they are very hard to find. The '54 Gear-Start is really a proto-type transmission. But you are lucky as your transmission will cross with all of the previous years as far as parts go.

Luckly if you need part references, I have done most of the leg work for you on this model, and you will find those in the Parts X-Ref here on the website.

As far as your grill situation is involved, unless someone filled all the various trim holes where the grille extensions mounted, and the fluted filler pieces mounted, I would guess that at some point the entire front clip (fenders, grille, and bumper) were replace with ones from a 51/52 donor car. The hood is really the same, so hard to tell. Only real difference in the fenders is the various trim hole locations. The '54 would have more around the front of the fenders for the extra pieces. But the front bumper, and bumperettes are different. I know that both Sandy Chico and Kanter have all of the grille parts, but it would be pricey. Unfortunately, there is nothing interchangeable on the grilles from the 51/52 models to the 53/54 models because of the different shaped grille surround.

If you need headlight rings, the '54 Junior (Clipper) headlight rings are the same as the '53 Senior ones, but not the same as the '53 Juniors or the '54 Seniors.

The picture I posted above is how a '54 Deluxe/Super would have left the factory as far as the trim and grille is concerned, and is probably a good one to use for reference. I have other pics I have used for reference if you need help with anything.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Franks 1954 Clipper - Cleaning the Crankcase Filler Cap Filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I've read in section XX page 4 of the 1954 Packard Clipper Service manual that when you change the crankcase oil, the mesh in the oil filler cap should be cleaned with gasoline and re-oiled with clean engine oil. I'm not 100% sure this was done when I had it serviced a few weeks ago because it looks like old grease/dirt is still in there. My question is does this part come apart? Do you simply let it soak in gasoline for a night or two? My plan is to paint it (but its actually looking pretty shiny in its current form) without paint. Any advice would be appreciated. See picture below - thanks Frank

Attach file:

jpg  (132.79 KB)
1341_49fc8de81429f.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2009/5/2 13:18
 Top  Print 

Re: Franks 1954 Clipper - Cleaning the Crankcase Filler Cap Filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does not come apart. Bottom & top are crimped at the flange you see in middle. Not sure it would need a soaking--also think something besides gasoline would be safer. Just a few sloshes back and forth forcing kerosene or a petroleum solvent into the filter material should do it. The original filter is a plant material so don't use anything too exotic.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
K - thanks for the information. Appreciate it - Frank

Posted on: 2009/5/2 14:11
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frank in addition the the Service manual (which is also available for download) make sure you download copies of all the Service Counselors (SCs), and the Service Technical Bulletins (STBs). As they contain running changes that are not in the service manual. You really need the 1953-1956 SCs and STBs. As some changes were made in '53 as the '54 starting selling in the fall of '53, and the running changes extended through at least '56. Some changes are even in the Studebaker Service Bulletins (SSBs).

Brian (BH) is working on the Service Index for 1951-54 which will be alot like the 55-56 Service Index feature here. That will give you a short cut to all the various service updates and which publication they are found in.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 15:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks Kev - I'll print the information you recommended - I appreciate it.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 10:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved