Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

power windows
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
I have an erratic power window on the pass side of my 56 Caribbean h/t.- works at times & then may do nothing on either switch. The problem seems to be in the motor, as power is at the switch. The manual says there is a lock on the arm from the gear, and I have a couple of spares that have this lock set-up, but my Caribb has what looks like a big rivet where the pin & lock should be. I don't know if someone replaced the original pin with a rivet before I bought the car, but it looks original as opposed to a home fix. As a result, I haven't been able to remove the motor to try to determine what's going on. Any ideas? { I guess I could remove motor & arms that connect to the window base as a unit}

Posted on: 2022/8/1 18:14
 Top  Print   

Re: power windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Picture.

Cause I had no problem removing one on a Caribbean.

Posted on: 2022/8/1 18:39
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: power windows
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The motor is held to the regulator by three fairly long screws that go thru the gear housing portion of the motor assy into a threaded plate that is positioned behind the motor support pad. Once the screws are out the motor will lift off but the threaded plate will also be free and want to drop down. It needs to be held up while you lift the motor out so the pinion clears the plate and hole in the support pad. The bottom photo in this posthttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25656&post_id=246637#forumpost246637 shows the motor and quarter regulator.

Both the HT front and quarter regulator assy are two parts. The motor and sector gear is in one part which is connected by a long bar to the second part that actually works the window. The front window is not as bad as far as load but one thing to look out for is when the window hits either stop and the motor is still energized the inner door panel metal flexes where the slot and large screw holding the second part of the regulator is located. Many inner door panels are cracked and weak letting the parts get out of alignment. The quarter regulator has essentially no mechanical advantage other than a spring which does not seem to help much. That motor is very stressed in the up direction. If there is dried lube or binding the motor could be overloaded to the point the thermal breaker inside the motor is tripping.

Attach file:

jpg  quarter window reg.jpg (258.22 KB)
209_62e86725d628f.jpg 1514X1666 px

jpg  HT front window.jpg (312.68 KB)
209_62e86e7e10d37.jpg 1920X1542 px

Posted on: 2022/8/1 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved