Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 47

packardbill, kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Packard Gas Tank
Just popping in
Just popping in

Matthew Buttelmann
See User information
Does anyone have a 1949 Packard 22 series gas tank in usable condition? My current tank is filled with holes.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_6328.jpg (601.50 KB)
225696_62ee5bf2661f5.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/8/6 7:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Packard Gas Tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would imagine the supply of good used 48-50 tanks are getting very scarce since that was the only thing available until recently and the supply has been picked fairly clean over the years. There were also two sizes of tanks used in those years so be aware of that if you find one.

If you find an original tank in your size it might be a good idea to consider what condition you might find it in and what you might need to do to make it serviceable once you receive it. See if buying the recently available 20 gallon repro tank MoparPro offers might be just as good a proposition. A couple of people have done this and unless the used tank just needed a "boiling out" found the cost of a RENU repair vs new came in fairly close. The posters who bought this repro and the also new 37-40 repro report they are good quality tanks and fit perfectly. You may need to reuse your filler pipe although that is fairly easily done with a fuel filler coupling hose.

If your car used the smaller 17 gallon tank this 20 gallon tank will fit -- but you might need longer straps. You will also need to do work on the sender to make the gauge read correctly. Even with that it might still be money ahead in choosing a new tank.

Posted on: 2022/8/6 9:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Which reminds me, Wat was s'posed to remove and measure a smaller '6-'47 tank so we could compare it to the larger one and the reproduction one.

Wat's excuse: he got busy and didn't do it.

Perhaps on the Labor Day run to Fred's House.

Posted on: 2022/8/6 10:04
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Matthew Buttelmann, to PackardInfo and good luck with your search for a tank. Being as you're 16, you're probably the youngest Packard owner we have "on board".

Speaking of Packard owners, I invite you to include your '49 Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/8/6 18:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Matthew,
It looks rough, but take it to a radiator shop and ask for an estimate to repair. If it’s really bad, they may laugh.
The new ones are expensive, but I bought one recently for my ‘40 (pix at The Duchess Project on this site) and they are well made.
moparpro.com makes 2 different tanks for 1949 Packards. You may have to contact them to find out how many gallons the capacity is for each to get the right one. They have 2 different part numbers, but I’m not sure if they are Packard numbers.
You can find the correct number on this site in the literature section, Parts Book for 1949.
I’ve had my Packard since I was 16.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
According to moparpro, they make only one tank for 1948-1950 but they made many listings for it on eBay. Some listings are for the years all together while others are for the individual years. None, however, have the long filler pipe.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '49 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry. Note, I have deleted the duplicate entry to maintain the integrity of the Registry.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 18:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
The one in my '37 was way worse. I took it to a company called Gas Tank Exchange and they coated it with an outer black polymer and a white lining polymer and it is solid now. I am in Ontario Canada, but hey if we can do it here, there has to be a US company that can too. It cost $300 CDN which is in the $230 US range. Took about 4 weeks.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 20:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are up to doing some work, there is a less expensive Chevy repro tank that can be made to work. As was mentioned earlier, repro Packard tanks for the 48-50s were not available a year ago so people did that they could. The Chevy tank will not be seen and maybe OK and at considerably less money worth the effort but the stock fuel sender and the fill pipe are some of the things that will need adapting.

Check out the blog by Tinman_70 at the PAC forum for the basics of what he had to do. His work is spread thru the blog but some of the more detailed gas tank work starts on page 64 of his blog.

Posted on: 2022/8/10 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved