Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Mechagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cam and oil pump removal 1941 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have wood shims under valves also have close pins holding lifters up. removed timing chain and gears. also removed fuel pump also removed keeper for cam behind cam gear. i removed 4 bolts around the outer edge of oil pump but it dose not seem to want to come out. also cam dosent seem to want to move forward even turning it and pulling forward.What am i doing wrong.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 10:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Cam and oil pump removal 1941 356
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Page 38 in the engine section of 46-50 service manual has a procedure for removing the oil pump on the Super Eight or 356 engine. Not sure if applicable to your car but on Clipper based models it also has to rotate 180 degrees so pump body will clear. As I recall, some machined surfaces also have a rather snug fit in the block so perhaps some gentle persuasion getting it started is also in order.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe the problem is the close pins. Most of us use clothes pins.

Seriously, I believe the shop manual advice for the 1946 and later 356 engines also would apply to yours.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
thats pretty good .

Posted on: 2022/8/9 14:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved