Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Side view mirror help needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I'm trying to replace the missing mirror glass in my '55 Clipper's optional side-view mirror/spotlight combination. My local glass shop cut a replacement piece but hedged when I asked how I should install the mirror into the chrome housing.

I'm assuming the factory simply glued the mirror into place, but I'm not sure. Any ideas on adhesives or correct installation procedures would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Posted on: 2022/8/9 20:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Side view mirror help needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have seen them both cemented in and mechanically pushed or pressed behind crimped over shells. No idea what was originally done on the spotlights but if the mirror housing does not come apart in some way and you already have the mirror cut to fit expect cemented in would be the option now.

For an adhesive be sure to use one of the special mirror mastics that will not destroy the silvering or protective paint on the back of the mirror. There are several available and I would suggest doing an online search for "exterior grade mirror adhesive". There might be one of them carried in a local store.

Posted on: 2022/8/9 22:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
All I have found locally is Permatex Clear Silicone adhesive which is rated for glass but doesn't address its suitability for mirrors. Everything I find online specifically for mirrors seems more appropriate for indoor, static (non-automotive) installations.

Also, I found what seems like dried-up cardboard embedded in the left-over adhesive inside the mirror housing. Does anyone know if this was some type of seal to keep water out or insulate the glass from vibration? I want to make sure when I put this together, it's put back correctly so it doesn't trap moisture or vibrate to pieces.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 14:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Every one I’ve seen has the thin board behind it and is crimped very lightly into place at the edges. If the new piece is cut and beveled properly, it should just pop back in, then the piece behind keeps it pushed toward the crimped edge to prevent rattling.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 15:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Try a glass/ mirror. Place.

They stick mirrors to walls. And its a black goo..

Posted on: 2022/8/11 17:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote: If the new piece is cut and beveled properly, it should just pop back in, then the piece behind keeps it pushed toward the crimped edge to prevent rattling.

Interesting you say this...the local glass shop didn't do much more than measure the housing and cut a circle from mirrored glass. While it does pop loosely into place, they certainly didn't put a bevel on it. For that matter, it's only round in the most general sense.

Before I go ahead with the piece I have, can anyone recommend a company that is capable of correctly cutting what I need. While not a show car, I'd like the repair to look and function as close to the original as possible.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 17:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I’m sure there are many ways to attach the mirror to the housing. I have had the best luck with 100% silicone. If it’s off the car apply silicone in the housing. Enough so when the mirror is in place there is contact. Then flip the housing over on a flat surface so when it dries the edges of your mirror will be flush with the housing. If it’s on the car silicone some shims in place and dry fit the mirror so it flushes out. Add more silicone over the shims and to the housing. Set mirror In place and tape from back of mirror housing over the mirror to the other side. Tape it vertical and horizontal. If you leave out this last step you will be breaking out a sagged crooked mirror the next day. And now my thumbs are tired! Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 22:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved