Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 24

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Need ‘40 super 8 generator over night
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Can you find a 6v positive ground alternator? Might be quicker in a pinch to swap one in, have the gen rebuilt and then go back to the correct part. These can sometimes be found at places like Grainger for industrial applications, but they look and work just like a single wire GM car alternator.

(the PO of my '37 115 C swapped the generator for the 6v alternator, then lost the generator. It's still in the car. Grrrr.)

Posted on: 2022/8/11 21:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Most, if not all Model A parts houses will have 6 volt positive ground alternators based on a Delco 10SI. They will also have a sheave already mounted for a wide belt, but I would avoid using the smallest diameter available, because the Ford has an especially small engine pulley, and the engine operates at a low RPM.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 22:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks for all the suggestions. I especially appreciate the Packard guys I contacted who looked thru their own inventory for me. My system is Autolite btw. I have a brand new alternator in Oregon, if I were to switch over. I thought a generator would be readily available, but it’s an assumption like the availability of 6v red top Optima batteries. No got.

The voltage regulator was fried, for some reason. My Sis sent a new one overnight and I installed it this morning before I left Stone Harbor NJ for Potomac MD, a 3-1/2 to 4 hour drive depending on traffic.

I bought a Napa 7204 6v in Villas nearby and installed that. Then I charged the battery that got me to Stone Harbor as a backup to the new battery. That new battery got me all the way home, including a stop for gas and lunch, and restart. A total of 4 hours.

I haven’t checked the charge on the new battery since I got home. I’ll consult the training/repair manuals to diagnose the problem, but I feel I’ll be making a trip to Parkton to see Ross Miller.

Posted on: 2022/8/13 14:31
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved