Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sending Unit
Just popping in
Just popping in

Matthew Buttelmann
See User information
I’m in search of a sending unit for a ‘49 packard tank in decent condition. I have a brand new tank for my packard and all I’m missing is the sending unit. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Posted on: 2022/8/11 19:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Sending Unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good luck finding a new sender as they have all but gone extinct. Major vendors have long been unable to supply them but they do show up occasionally. If one comes along it will be from someone who might see your request and have an extra in their spare parts or a used one which in all probability will need repair.

48-50 models used a heater operated bimetal contact type sender that was different from the resistance changing type used on all other year Packards. So far nothing aftermarket has been found that will work reliably to replace the original type. If you do find a sender be aware there were also two models for the two different size tanks.

Some Ford Motor cars in that time period apparently used a similar type sender but to the best of my knowledge no one has come up with any info on which ones might possibly work. Some Ford forums have said the same not available situation exists there too. They did make considerably more Ford products than Packards so there is probably a better chance of finding one on someone's shelf if we had a year or model to look for.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 20:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Perhaps this vendor can help?

https://mykmlifestyle.com/

kmlifestyle@hotmail.com

I had them build one for my '37 115C from scratch. No core to send them; got it a few weeks later, installed, perfect.

Not inexpensive, but worth it. Outstanding workmanship.

I've heard that '57 Ford sending units may work in your vintage of Packard but I'm not sure....

Posted on: 2022/8/11 22:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
57 FoMoCo senders are the resistance type and there is one with the correct arm length and 10-70 ohm range that will work for the 51-6 Packards but not the 48-50 models. As mentioned, those years used a completely different type sender.

MK Lifestyles makes resistance type senders and has been a good source for the obsolete ohm ranges and tubing configurations used before 48. I seem to recall someone did try them to make a 48--50 type but I think without success. I could be in error so maybe contact them to verify.

Posted on: 2022/8/11 23:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I have a good sending unit for your car. It’s my last one. 520-336-0057

Posted on: 2022/8/12 1:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved