Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55 Clipper trunk lock
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Is the shaft from the trunk key cylinder suppose to fit snug in the latch release or is there supposed to be a lot of slop/play? I have a latch that does not want to release. I have taken it apart and found a lot of space around the cylinder's rectangular shaft that goes into the latch release. Do I need a new cylinder?

Posted on: 2022/8/15 13:32
 Top  Print   

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure exactly where you are finding excess space but the lock cylinder does fit snugly in the outer housing which is the part thru the trunk lid held by the retaining clip. That is where the 5 or 6 movable pieces operated by the key have a place to do their job.

There does appear to be a lot of space at the end where the tang operated by the cylinder works the latch release mechanism. It looks like the space is provided for an adequate turn of the cylinder yet still allow the release mechanism to move slightly when the latch expands to lock in the hole in the striker. Does your lock match figure 72 on page 21 of section XIX body section of the SM and are all the springs good?https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect19_Body.pdf

Many times the striker plate in a not cooperating lock is out of adjustment. Have you tried loosening the 3 bolts and adjusting the striker plate in the slots or oversized holes slightly?

Posted on: 2022/8/15 14:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: trunk lock
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Thank you for the quick response.

To answer the question about the figure 72 on pg 21: yes. But as I read your answer you think that I am having trouble with the lock cylinder. I guess that I was not clear. The cylinder is of proper fit and function. It is the "tang" that interfaces with the latch that has copious amount of extra space in the slot that it is inserted into. The slot is almost double the size of the tang.
The latch slot is located in the darkend oval in the latch directly to the left of the arrow that is pointing to the spring clip that holds the key cylinder in place in the trunk lid. The latch is operating correctly when the cylinder is removed and a flat blade screw driver is inserted and used to turn the latch. Everything has been adjusted and works with the exception of the key cylinder when installed. The key turns in the cylinder when not installed.
But my main question remains: is there supposed to be a great deal of space around the tang when installed in the latch? The tang turns to a 60 degree angle to make contact with the latch to activate it.

Posted on: 2022/8/15 21:37
 Top  Print   

Re: trunk lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been too long since I had a 55 apart and the 56 has a completely different latch assy. Perhaps someone with a 55 can take a photo of their lock and look to see if there is some kind of insert that fits around the tang and fills that large space. Packard often did use rubber or plastic bushings and grommets in mechanisms to minimize vibration noise so perhaps something did fall out.

Posted on: 2022/8/16 10:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved