Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1946 Super Clipper 8 Limo Carburetor.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
NO, NO, NO!!! DO NOT HIT THE END OF THE PULLER!!!

AGREE! I know this is common on some makes but on a Packard axle, hitting the end of the puller directly which would transmit inward force to the end of the axle is specifically cautioned against in the service manuals for the very reason JWL mentions. The SM isn't as refined as John in saying it will be damaged. It outright says the thrust block can shatter and to me that means destroyed not damaged.

Most have used the regular two ended knock piece that comes with the puller and hit the ends of that with a heavy hammer to tighten. The rotational shock is no worse than driving down the road. Let it sit and then come back after awhile and hit it again. I had one that took almost a day under increasing tension from the hammer before it popped free. Some have even resorted to a light application of heat on the hub to try and expand it a bit.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The caution about possible damage to the thrust block by hammering on the end of the axle shaft is appropriate and very important, but note it does not apply to Packard-built Angleset rear axles. On them each shaft is independently locked in position and no thrust block is used.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
From the FWIW Department:

Had a really balky wooden spoke wheel on a model 66 Peerless that I had to get off to pull the axles to remove the carrier assembly. I used a logging chain and a gear puller and buckets of penetrating oil and it still wouldn't come off. One day, I finally rapped the top of the hub bit with a 3# hammer. It came off so fast I like to got my hand broken.

Didn't break anything, just broke the wheel loose.

The gouge on my hand healed.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 17:22
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is also a risk of damaging the axle bearings. Not a good idea to pound on the end of the axle regardless of type.

Posted on: 2022/8/25 12:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I meant a tap or two, not to pound on it!

Posted on: 2022/8/25 15:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Mine got one whack. Twas all it needed.

Posted on: 2022/8/25 17:39
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don, rereading your post I see where you say a rap or two. Still, the discussion is a good precautionary measure for others who may be tempted to apply more force than you recommended. Peace.

Posted on: 2022/8/26 10:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved