Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 356 timing sprocket damage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'd wager the gear was on its last legs and just happened to pick you to die on.

If you give up on the 356, I can make it disappear for you.

Posted on: 2022/8/21 19:19
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Keys are actually soft steel, so they'll distort rather than shear off. You don't want to damage what it's keyed into like a crankshaft. Not a "fuse", per se. It's job is alignment and to transfer torque. It'd have to be brittle to snap and that hardness would ruin the slot. Cast isn't that strong to begin with and ages poorly.
I saw another situation at one of the brand sites and the small starter gear broke into 3 pieces trying to start a stuck motor, so not that uncommon working on oldies. Everyone is in a hurry to get them running and pay dearly.
They make a tool for attaching to the flywheel teeth so one can rotate the engine on the stand or with the inspection plate off. Of course when socket challenged I go to the socket store first.
The big box retailers think we shouldn't have any bigger than a 3/4 and not all the sizes. Makes me mad and have to order which takes days not now when I need it. I have an old 1" drive and one socket for it but mostly use wrenches on big stuff.

Posted on: 2022/8/22 10:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scienceaddict
See User information
So I need any and all suggestions on how to free stuck valves. Currently the motor has about half stuck, however the real problem is with the rear two intakes. I've tried every combination of wedges, prybars, heat and hammers I can come up with, and it won't budge. No wonder the cam sprocket broke on no. 8 intake. I've got the manifolds off, and soaked the valve stem above the guide, roasted the valve guides with a propane torch, tapped everything lightly trying to shock it loose, and just about put my weight on a 4 ft prybar underneath the end of the valve stem,with no success. I've never seen nor heard of valves stuck this hard, and the internet isn't offering anything useful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As was mentioned before some have had real issues removing stuck valves and it sounds like you have joined the club. To remove them you will need to find or make something like this tool. If made, it will probably require something welded up that will fit under the valve. Anything that could be bent will not be strong enough. Use a regular body slide hammer for the other part. You may luck out and not damage the head with the tool but in all probability the valve will not fare well and will need replacing.

Attach file:

jpg  valve tool.jpg (174.88 KB)
209_630beb9baade7.jpg 1002X1366 px

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yeah, that's tight. The set of 356 valves that I removed had a few tough ones, but those had bent stems. I was able to pry them out with a bit of elbow grease and a couple of encouraging (vulgar) words.

My wager would be that these ones here are bent and gunked.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:36
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scienceaddict
See User information
Yeah, that tool looks great, but won't help here as the stuckest valves are completely shut, so there's no way to get under them. No budging even with a *little* bit of leverage, and a lot of heat and sauce.

Attach file:

jpg  20220828_190500.jpg (343.13 KB)
225584_630bf6bc5dd59.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/28 18:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scienceaddict
See User information
Small leverage

Attach file:

jpg  20220828_190507.jpg (366.51 KB)
225584_630bf6ded9621.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/28 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Soak it, let it set and keep it wet. Be patient as it may take a week or more before it frees up. Trying to force it, you'll end up breaking the block. Maybe even carburetor cleaner will help but it evaporates fairly fast so it will take a lot of it.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 18:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved