Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheel Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What color where the rims on the 2 dr, 55 Custom Clipper Constellation? Did the body color dictate the rim color or were they all the same color, black in my case?
TIA,
John

Posted on: 2022/8/23 11:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
For the Clipper black seems to a correct color as shown below. I say "a" correct color because that is a 1956 photo and the record seems all over the map because Packard was having production problems. For example, a white Patrician with copper wheels. Others will opine that upper body color is correct and I won't argue with that either.

For a while, everybody seemed to be painting wheels red because they liked the way it looked with white sidewalls, but I think the car looks better when the wheels are body color.

Attach file:

jpg  5604.jpg (256.28 KB)
373_63056e88e24ec.jpg 1492X1196 px

Posted on: 2022/8/23 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The photo is 1956 and, while I can't speak for 1955, my 1956 Clipper had the lower body color (Tangier Red) on the wheels. Yes, it had been repainted once but in gray and the wheels were red under it.

Posted on: 2022/8/23 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I believe I said that, but I also have a period picture of a brand new 55 Clipper Custom that clearly has black wheels.

Posted on: 2022/8/23 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, you said that after you edited your post but you said the opposite before I posted.

Posted on: 2022/8/23 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe wheel color varied with year, model and paint code. For example, the plain steel wheels on tri-color 1956 Caribbeans were painted the middle body color on the outside; all to my knowledge were black on the inside.

Posted on: 2022/8/23 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks to all. I'll stick with black for the time being.
John

Posted on: 2022/8/25 11:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved