Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Packard 288 cu in voltage regulator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
While starting, there’re was a bright flash on the regulator, the cover was off, I turned the engine off.
The ammeter has pegged out on charge. The right coil points have frozen shut. I turned off ignition and next morning my battery drained completely to 0.
One question is what happened?

I read that Napa has a replacement VR. Does anyone have the correct Echlin model number?
Just another roadblock on my journey to get this car on the road.

Posted on: 2022/8/26 9:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Packard 288 cu in voltage regulator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know which contact is on the right as that can change with model of regulator and how it is mounted but it sort of sounds like it was the cut out contact and it welded shut.

Normally that contact is open disconnecting the generator from the system until the generator is turning fast enough to generate a small voltage. At that point contact will close and power up the entire regulator so generator output goes to full and can then go to the battery and the rest of the system. If the cut out contact did weld closed then when generator was stopped battery power was still continually being fed back into the generator. Had the belt been off the generator pulley so it could turn generator would probably have been turned into a motor.

That would be the most likely reason for the complete discharge because the other two contacts in the regulator are not in play unless the generator has an output. They are normally closed anyway and just sit until they have something to regulate. With the continual current drain I would also be wondering about the status of the generator as it undoubtedly would have gotten hot.

Posted on: 2022/8/26 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information

Posted on: 2022/8/27 20:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Pretty much all new regulators will be manufactured by Standard Motor Products, regardless of where you buy them or whose name is on the box, and needless to say they are not as good as the original regulators and require some adjustment when you get them. I try to run the older regulators as long as I can. They require maintenance, but otherwise last almost forever. You can probably un-stick, file, and adjust the contacts on your old regulator.

...or buy a new regulator and adjust it. The new regulators work fine if you adjust them before you use them. They do not come out of the box ready to go.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 1:03
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If an ammeter is pegged with the key off or at idle (with no lights or accessories
on) there is a huge fire risk because something is short circuiting. You don't want to leave the battery connected overnight.

As well, given it pegs positive, is the battery hooked up correctly as positive ground?

If you hook the battery up backwards the flash may happen because the regulator needs to be polarized.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 11:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I agree with Howard. Sounds like your cutout relay is shorting.

Check that the tension spring on it is intact. If it is, I don't know what would cause your issue.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 11:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For starters, sounds like your battery may be hooked up backwards.

If your car is AutoLite equipped, the NAPA/Echlin aftermarket replacement regulator was VR-23. That's an old listing and the # may have been superceded by now.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 12:46
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved