Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Packard Clipper Constellation levelling system
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave T
See User information
I am a new owner of a 55 Packard and new to classic car ownership. I have a short steep driveway and when I back the car down, the tailpipe scrapes. I understand and have found the switch under the dash that raises the car. Can I safely use this while backing down the driveway and then switching it back to normal to then lower the car for normal driving?? This may seem like an obvious question to some but a lot of things to me are going to be a steep learning curve to enjoy a vintage car. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/8/30 13:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 Packard Clipper Constellation levelling system
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
First: check that the leather strap that holds the end of the tailpipe up is not broken.

The switch turns on the leveling feature, so that the car always assumes the correct stance after its loading has been changed. (It doesn't make it level like a builder's level, but level in the sense that the front and rear will be the correct height from the axles no matter the loading).

I assume what you're doing is turning the switch on, sitting on the rear fender until it rises, turning the switch off, getting out of your driveway, then turning the switch back on?

Yes that should be perfectly fine. In fact that trick was used by mechanics in the day to make tire changing easier, plus thousands of neighborhood kids going for rides up and down on the bumper until the battery was drained.

Congratulations on your purchase and be sure to check out the Literature Archive on the left sidebar. Filter by year 1955 and you'll see the Owners and Service manuals, info about the Torsion Level system, and much more.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The manual suspension override switch was introduced as a mid 56 option so kind of unusual to have it on a 55. Could have been done by a dealer at the time or even a previous owner later on after Packard went away. Aside from a minor difference in wiring if your car still has the original style 55 control switch it was designed for and will work just fine as you are currently using it.

If it is not the factory switch setup and someone just used a modern type switch then as long as the switch was installed so the limit switches are still in the circuit and you remember to turn off the main TL on/off switch when using the manual, then it should work without issue. If your switch does not look like the factory switch I would verify the wiring to make sure limit switches are in the circuit. Some home made conversions completely bypassed the limits and compensator damage is usually the result.

Here is info provided when the switch was introduced.

Attach file:

jpg  manual sw.jpg (194.61 KB)
209_630e615fc61f1.jpg 1164X1420 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave T
See User information
Thank you for your prompt response. The minute I throw the switch, the car raises then just as quick once I switch it back the car returns to its normal position. So now this will be my normal practice to get it down my steep driveway and return to normal to drive. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Sounds like - and probably is - an aftermarket set up so best to be sure that it does not bypass the safety limit switches! If that happens, there can be serious and possibly irreparable mechanical damage.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you can post a picture of the relay setup on the firewall then I'm sure one of us will be able to tell you if it is bypassing the safety relays.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 16:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For viewing purposes on a 55 almost everything in the TL electrical is under the car. It would be good to know what kind of manual switch is present and where wires connect. If the wires from the manual switch go directly to the control switch and connect there it should be good but if they connect at a solenoid or at the limit switch then what was done really should be verified.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 17:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave T
See User information
I have used this system to get in and out of my steep driveway so it does not bottom out, however recently I raised the car but it refuses to return to the low position when I make the switch again. It is now stuck in the up position. There are two (after market) toggle switches one I believe is the system on/off switch and the other the up/down switch. The car does not level automatically either.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 16:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With any aftermarket switches in the system it is hard to say what might have been done or how. It will probably require you to chase down connections wire for wire to have an understanding of your system.

For the suspension to stay at an up or down limit that even a manual switch would not override could be a limit switch has been activated and has stuck or a fuse has blown.

There are two fuses. On a 55 the control switch and circuitry is handled by the body feed fuse under the dash. The motor and solenoids are protected by an inline fuse located in a red wire and probably placed in the wire a few inches away from the starter motor.

If fuses check good you will need to go under the car and look at the limit switch to make sure the bar at the end of the arm which is touced by one of the transverse bars is in the center and free to move side to side.

As far as no automatic leveling, that could be fuse, the on/off switch could have been accidentally turned off, or possibly the control switch contacts have oxidized and are no longer able to make contact.

Here is a photo of the limit sw by Stewart B. and a wiring diagram of the stock system which show the proper connection for the 56 factory supplied manual switch added in. The manual switch was a 56 option and while it can be properly added to 55's, the stock 55 terminals at the control switch are not the same so instructions would be slightly different. With you having a toggle switch instead of the factory push/pull switch, yours was probably a home made setup so no idea how or where it might have been connected in.

Attach file:

jpg  55 Limit and solenoid.jpg (148.81 KB)
209_64ab2c6d1c799.jpg 937X1049 px

jpg  55Schem With Override.jpg (91.20 KB)
209_64ab321bc670c.jpg 1367X792 px

Posted on: 2023/7/9 16:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave T
See User information
Thank you I will check these options

Posted on: 2023/7/9 17:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved