Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Packard 160 gas tank needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Looking for a 1941 Packard 160 gas tank in solid condition like picture

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_8824.JPG (270.42 KB)
3379_630e632dc592c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard 160 gas tank needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mopar Pro has recently introduced repro tanks for the immediate pre and post war years. They have one listing for a 41 but the filler tube is short. I wonder if it would work if you removed the long tube from yours and used a modern fuel filler hose or splice connector to join the two -- or maybe that is the way the tanks are designed to work so they can fit more models. Didn't check to see what the capacity of tanks available in 41 were but I believe all the repro tanks are 20 gallon. Might be worth a question to them to get details on the filler and tank dimensions for their repro.

If that would not work and a local radiator shop cannot clean or repair yours I suspect you are going to be looking for a vendor who has a gas tank RENU franchise or else find a good used tank somewhere. If the number of people who have previously looked for prewar tanks is an indication finding good used may get interesting.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
my tank has a dip in the front for the spare tire. I dont think the repro would work. also my tank was repaired 2 times before and is very thin on top.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 14:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the repro isn't the right shape and a used tank doesn't come along soon Pennsylvania does have a RENU franchise. No idea how close to you but maybe get in touch with this place and see if they could fix yours.

A few on the forum who have had it done said they cut a portion of the tank top out for access to the inside. Maybe they could remove the weak area and when they replace it perhaps they could weld back a thicker piece of metal.

No idea of current prices but a few years ago the process was comparable to the then newly available 51-6 repro tanks. The tank comes back amost like new and the opened area, being on top, is not visible.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Then I had the tank done on my 1965 Cadillac, it cost over $600 (maybe even considerably more) and they said that there were holes all over which had to be brazed. No actual missing metal, though, so not sure how they would handle that as it's a bit much to braze.

Yes, they did cut out a large hole on the top which was done along seams to make not show too much when welded back after sandblasting the inside and repairing the leaks. You can just barely see it inside the red lines.

No new tanks were available then (nor are they now) so getting it fixed was just about the only option but I would have preferred replacing it with a new one. Since the tanks are available new for your car, it seems a no-brainer to go that route!

Attach file:

jpg  tank.jpg (300.33 KB)
60923_630e76828dd4e.jpg 1429X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 15:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Ok, this may not be for everyone but here goes. 61-63 Olds station wagon is almost identical in size. It's less than ¼" taller (I think). You do have to massage the clearance dent for your spare well. The sending unit fits too but be sure you're leaving space in the bottom for reserve fuel. Mine is ½" above the floor. You have to make up a fill hose gig to locate your filler in the door. New tank delivered was like $100 from an EBAY seller in MN. Sorry, don't remember the name. Anyways, take a look. If I get a little caught up I'll try and shoot some pics.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 17:57
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
I bought a new tank for my 160 coupe from Keppich a few years ago for 800 dollars. It fits perfectly and I'm happy. Not sure they still have them.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 22:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
tabletennissport wrote:I bought a new tank for my 160 coupe from Keppich a few years ago for 800 dollars....
Noel,

Wondering if that was US or Aussie dollars?

Posted on: 2022/9/21 22:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
It was US Dollars Mal.

Posted on: 2022/9/22 10:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
beware listings claiming fit to all 41 Packards - the Clipper and traditional bodies were both in production that year and in 42.

Posted on: 2022/9/22 12:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved