Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

speedo drive gears
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hello all.
Does anyone know how many teeth on the speedo cable drive gear should have for relevant diff ratios?
My 49 has a 3.9 diff and 19 tooth gear, speedo works fine and is quite accurate. I found a 17 tooth gear in my hoard, what diff would this suit?
Cheers,
Gary

Posted on: 2022/9/1 10:50
 Top  Print 

Re: speedo drive gears
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on both axle ratio and whether the trans had an OD. Some of the gear tooth count stayed the same for several combinations over several years but others changed a tooth or two which might have something to do with tires fitted on a particular model. Some also had a different part number for the same tooth count, the difference being in the shaft and cable connection end and what cable to trans adapter it needed to fit into.

Click on the factory parts list at the left menu and then type in 3.257 in the group number box. A list of all years and models will come up and you can see which combinations and years used the same part number and tooth count.

Posted on: 2022/9/1 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There should be 2 numbers stamped in a recessed band in the shaft near the drive end of the gear, one for the Packard part number and one for the Stewart Warner number.
This will give you a positive identification.

Posted on: 2022/9/1 13:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you find the Stewart Warner number, can you please tell me what it is on your 19-tooth gear along with the part number? I’m looking for one just like it.

Posted on: 2022/9/1 13:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Well thanks for that Howard. I do have non-original tyres (15 in light truck), but somehow it all works for my car.
The 17 tooth gear has SW106317 on it, as far as I can see. The 19T gear is in the car, wait out on that one.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/9/2 3:11
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Further to the previous: the 19T gear on my car has two numbers, SW347537 and 101919. I am guessing the 19 on the latter refers to teeth, or is that too logical?
Gary

Posted on: 2022/9/3 1:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The SW347537, or at least the 347537 part of it, refers to the Packard part number which is apparently the same as Stewart Warner once the SW is added! Yours is apparently 19 tooth but for the R9 overdrive.

The one I'm looking for has 412444 so that must mean that it is SW412444 and is for certain R11 overdrives.

Posted on: 2022/9/3 2:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved