Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 359 questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
If I read the compression ration charts correctly, it looks like a 288 head might be a bit of an improvement over the aluminum. Gas may be crap these days, but it will easily support a 9:1 ratio.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 6:33
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You would think so but there are specific year or designation 288 heads that will work and can be substituted. Others result in a ping that cannot be entirely eliminated -- even with premium gas and careful timing. There are some earlier discussions on the 359 pinging issue where Ross has mentioned the heads that seem to work and can be "tuned" in.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 8:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
So, if this chart I found is any indication, then:

359 head is 8.70

288 51-52 AT is 9.10

288 53-54 all is 9.35

And a 53'54 head from a 327 is about the same as a 359 aluminum head at 8.69.

I'm not clear why 92 or 93 octane wouldn't clear up a pinging issue at those numbers. But I'm listening.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 12:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From what I've read many 359s never left the factory with the advertised compression a ratio of 8.7 until perhaps very late in the run if ever, the factory was constantly struggling to get excessive pinging under control. I understand many dealers responded to customer compaints by installing the extra thick export head gasket to suppress the pinging. True or not I don't know.

After my aluminum head on my 359 cracked I used a 1953 327 cast iron head and the result was very unsatisfactory, pinging was almost constant even with light throttle. Ultimately I had to retard the base timing and rework the distributor to supress the mechanical advance. Still got quite noticeable ping with premium gas of the era, but it ran superbly on gas like ARCO Purple and the like.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician still has the original aluminum head and it is never pinged. Maybe the multi-tip plugs in it have helped but I don’t recall it pinging before they were installed either.

As for cast iron heads, I have a couple that say something like 288 std 327 auto (or maybe the other way around) so not sure how that would affect the compression ratio.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 13:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Atlantic Richfield? There's a blast-from-the-past name. Kinda like the days of the old dial-'em-up pumps at the Sunoco station with the 260 petrol. It may have been a placebo, but I swear that my '67 Olds ran better on that stuff. Maybe it was just the driver that did.

On a related note regarding compression, my H-D mechanic said to always run regular in my '04 Sportster and my '08 Deluxe. He said not to bother with higher octane unless I detected any pinging. His point was that the higher grades sat in the tanks in the ground longer and were more likely to have water in the fuel. I think that both of those engines were about 9:1, and neither complained. I do run hi-test in the 2020 bikes, but one is 10:1 and the other is 10.7:1. I do buy fuel for them from stations at an interstate exit because they likely cycle the fuel in their storage tanks more rapidly than other stations.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical until I get one of these fellas to play with.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 14:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, likewise my 1954 Caribbean didn't have a pinging/preignition prohlem with the original aluminum head either. It was only after change to cast iron that the problem arose.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 14:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Atlantic Richfield? There's a blast-from-the-past name. Kinda like the days of the old dial-'em-up pumps at the Sunoco station with the 260 petrol. It may have been a placebo, but I swear that my '67 Olds ran better on that stuff. Maybe it was just the driver that did.

ARCO is still a prominent name out here although they changed their status and maybe lowered their profile when they got rid of their former full service stations and turned into more like a convenience store type operation.

I guess when you look at it there are relatively few full service stations from any brand anymore. The ones I went to are certainly gone but I guess there are still some around somewhere. A blast from the past is when some of the old TV shows come on and show something like a Texaco station and several attendants taking care of a car. Most today have no idea such things existed.

Posted on: 2022/9/5 15:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

ARCO is still a prominent name out here although they changed their status and maybe lowered their profile when they got rid of their former full service stations and turned into more like a convenience store type operation.

I guess when you look at it there are relatively few full service stations from any brand anymore. The ones I went to are certainly gone but I guess there are still some around somewhere. A blast from the past is when some of the old TV shows come on and show something like a Texaco station and several attendants taking care of a car. Most today have no idea such things existed.

Last I remember driving through NJ, one has to allow them to pump your gas for you. Of course they do it Their Way and on their time, so you don't exactly get what you want.

As you may have suspected by now, Wat is a tank-topper. I am sure that there is a special ring in Hell for our type.

I fill the Packard until I can see the gasoline in the neck of the filler, just like I was shown . . . .

Posted on: 2022/9/5 16:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
First 359 is acquired and safely stashed under Fred's watchful gaze and a nice blankie. The second one is sighted, inspected, and soon to have a deal made for it.

Not a good starter in the batch. Think I have a 327 starter from that engine. The rest of the pieces for one of them are likely subject to change.

Let the games begin.

Posted on: 2022/10/31 21:06
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved