Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 111

29tons, John Sauser, kevinpackard, JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1952 200 deluxe with 327ci dies when warm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Sometimes vacuum gauges aren't a good indicator of an intake leak. They are fine for massive leaks.

Try slowly closing the choke plate with your finger to see how it affects the engine. If it starts running better there is a problem.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 9:01
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Hi all, well we are so busy cleaning up after our monsoon weather I haven't had a chance to get back to the Packard project. will take all your suggestions into advisement and let everyone know what I find! thanks again for the info!

Posted on: 2022/9/16 15:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
If it isn't a silly question, is there a Bakelite spacer under the carb? If it is in contact with the manifold that will be hot enough to boil out the carb.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/9/17 3:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
I can't imagine an air filter would be a cause of stalling, unless it is totally blocked with filth, and you would notice that. I forgot to mention, on my car I still have the original oil bath air cleaner, with used auto trans fluid. It worked 70 years ago, it still does.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/9/18 17:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It simply does not have a big enough surface area to allow air to get in. Blocked or not, it is going to cause restriction problems exactly as was shown and the fact that it runs differently when removed is a perfect illustration of the problem. If you do all your fuel and air mixture settings with the cleaner off, then notice a significant change putting in on afterward, clearly it is the problem! It’s not just its diameter but also its height which in itself of would cause problems.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 18:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Mike52_200 wrote:
thank you all for the responses. The aftermarket air cleaner I;m using is a simple paper air filter 4" x 2" stacked two high. not very big.

A double stacked air cleaner would seem to provide enough filtering surface and not restrict air flow.

Posted on: 2022/9/20 12:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Thanks again for all the great responses, I changed the air cleaner to a triple stack. I'm beginning to think it's the carburetor itself. I have a rebuilt one coming and I'll let everyone know if it solves the problem.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 16:01
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Ok, so I put a rebuilt carburetor on, and it fixed the problem! works with filter on or off. It was the carburetor all along. thanks everyone for your help! now on to the other stuff I have to do to make my 52 whole again. what fun! :)

Posted on: 2022/12/9 9:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved