Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Deleting oil filter on a 39 six?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a borrowed copy of one of Don's photos showing the filter he is selling. If your existing six filter is located low on the block like the fact book photo, the bracket looks like it has an additional support toward the bottom and may mount in the same location.

If that would not work and your head or just below the head on the side of the block has the two tapped holes any filter from 40-54 should also mount like is shown for the later six engines in the illustration in post #4. Just need to pay attention to inlet and outlet ports as they are different on pre and postwar filters but It would not be much of a trick to make whatever new lines are required.

Attach file:

jpg  filter.jpg (44.71 KB)
209_6322485893994.jpg 649X864 px

Posted on: 2022/9/14 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
The tapped holes on the upper left of head began on 40 when the filter became the replaceable insert cartridge style. So a stock 39 Six would not have them; however, to overcome this on my six, I have a bracket that makes use if the two nearby vertical head bolts.
Cartridges available over the counter.

If you happen to find a Packard original cartridge style filter like those in the pictures the others shared, be careful that you don't have one that is intended for the larger engines with hydraulic lifters. That canister has a different bypass pressure to make sure the lifters and rest of the engine weren't starved.

Probably wouldn't hurt your 6, but better safe than sorry. The unit made for the hydraulic lifter engines will have a statement stamped in to the brim of the top cover.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 18:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boothguy
See User information
This is the filter that was on my car although the picture may be upside down. It is down low right under the generator which would have to come out or remove the splash apron to service it I'm guessing

Attach file:

jpeg  Packard oil filter.jpeg (67.57 KB)
153668_63225dfd4aede.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  Packard oil filter.jpeg (67.57 KB)
153668_63225e2f506d8.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2022/9/14 18:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boothguy
See User information
Here is the other picture I intended to upload

Attach file:

jpg  packard oil filter.jpg (83.98 KB)
153668_6322684264b59.jpg 640X853 px

Posted on: 2022/9/14 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don would know how much room is needed with his canister but if the filter is fairly close under the generator it may be difficult to have clearance to get the lid off and lift the element out to change a filter. 39SixSedanMan's suggestion of a bracket on the head studs with a drop down section to mount a later canister above the generator sounds like a pretty good idea. Some angle iron should do the job.

The above generator filter location was used from 40 thru 54 so you could make a convincing argument that at some later date a dealer selling a factory kit available at the time could have installed a filter using that method. The later filters are relatively easy to find.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 19:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Come to think of it, when I bought my 1939, it had a 1940 engine in it (which I still have rebuilt) so the filter is 1940 and improperly title on my site.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 19:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

boothguy
See User information
The generator looks like it would have to come off to change the cartridge on a later style unit if it was mounted in the original location.I wonder how generic the later style oil filters are. I can take one off of a Hudson engine I have. But I think for now I'll just run a bypass tube. The line on the original filter is only 1/8" so I don't think its super critical but heck what do I know.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may be able to buy a kit to remotely mount a modern spin-on oil filter. This should be a fairly straight forward job. Critical part will be getting the lines from the engine to the filter and back to the engine. Critical but not too complicated. Worth considering if you are not wed to being originally authentic.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee, if you are going to complain about my picture you must have a better one.

Anyway, here is a factory picture.

I'm not going to send a letter to the Packard company telling them it is on upside down.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard engine.jpg (69.63 KB)
373_63235eb861764.jpg 1163X543 px

Posted on: 2022/9/15 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Quote:

boothguy wrote:
The oil filter on mine is a sealed canister and was meant to be replaced as a whole unlike the ones I am familiar with that had a replaceable cartridge. As far as I know they are not currently being produced and the NOS ones I've seen are pretty expensive. Another option would be to get one that has a replaceable element and adapt that to my car which I might do but I'd like to be able to run it in the meantime.

We do offer the filter that your vehicle uses. If you are interested please contact our Packard Department. If you are able to keep a filter on the system I would recommend doing so.

James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2022/9/15 12:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved