Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Any practical way to lower a power antenna that's not working?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Would like to lower it so it's not as exposed and a cover would fit better and maybe not even have to patch it.

Is there a way to do this?

55 400

Posted on: 2022/9/18 10:54
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Any practical way to lower a power antenna that's not working?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Turns out I was actually able to remove the entire antenna assembly without much difficulty.

Whoever installed it had the forethought to put barrel connectors in line between the antenna and switch leads to make it easier to install. 67 years later and I am very appreciative.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 11:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Any practical way to lower a power antenna that
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a bit on servicing electric antennas including lowering a non responsive mast in various 51 service counselor articles.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO8.pdf For the other articles, check the 51-4 accessories category in the factory Service Index at the link in the left menu.

The 55-6 front antennas are a bit different on th outside but for most of the front antennas the inner mechanisms were the same. Rears are another brand and instead of the flat oval shape those have a round nylon and a different movement mechanism. There may have been some later fronts that also used that other brand but still worth a look thru the article.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 12:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Keep in mind that the article was written for servicing nearly new antennas. After 65 years of water getting in, do not expect it to be so easy! Even the formerly working antenna on my 1954 Patrician which has not seen outdoor storage for over 40 years is a mess inside.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Don and Howard, I ended up being able to get it apart. What seems to have happened is the mast got slightly bent in the top 2 sections, and when someone retracted the antenna the nylon strip broke (there is necking at the end of the strip and it is not connected to the mast). Obviously the masts would have to be corrected before replacing the nylon, if it's even possible. Also: I'm not sure if I messed something up with the motor; it doesn't work now, though I'm not certain it even did.

I've reassembled it only for what's necessary to have a "manual" antenna as you can still operate the mast by hand, with some difficulty. For the amount that I plan to listen to AM radio I don't think it'll be a significant annoyance.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If it doesn't go up.down.

And motor runs

The tension wheels are stuck.

If. The nylon cord didn't break

Posted on: 2022/9/18 14:49
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe the nylon piece is available but also Tucson Packard offers a rebuilding service.

Posted on: 2022/9/18 15:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved