Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Push button then & now
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember when the Chrysler brands came out with their pushbuttons -- maybe 55 -- but it was all mechanical cable operation as was the Mercury setup which I think was first used in 57. I think AMC had buttons too for a year or two but believe it was the Chrysler system. Think the Packard and Edsel Autolite systems were the only ones with electric motors until RR came out with theirs.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 10:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that Chrysler’s first was 1957 with the new finned styling. Not sure, though, as I’ve owned only ‘64 and ‘65 Imperials. ‘64 had it and ‘65 might as well have had it as it used the same cable mechanism but controlled by a lever. The push-buttons always worked well on my cars but the lever was a pain as it always came out of adjustment, being a little device held to the lower column’s outer sheath by small screws.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 12:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chrysler introduced push button transmission controls in 1956.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 12:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Some sources say it was introduced on the two-speed Powerflyte transmission in 1954 while other indicated it first appeared in 1956. There was apparently a version of electric shift as far back as 1914 as the Vulcan Electric Shift!

Posted on: 2022/9/21 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Glad we got that straight.
I wasn't around in '14, so trumped.
Chrysler '54 powerflyte 2 speed - first mechanical. '56 torqueflyte 3 speed - what I remember.
According to reports, Packard had the electric in '56 and appears was fraught with gremlins and pulled. That was also the infamous Studebaker merger times, so who knows what the reasons might have been, if P wasn't in control anymore and on "death row".
Anytime one is looking for an excuse for their casue, it's easy to find one.
A patent search would show more but I can't get done what I have now.
Does it really matter?

Posted on: 2022/9/22 9:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
According to reports, Packard had the electric in '56 and appears was fraught with gremlins and pulled.

PB system was not pulled and was available on all 56 production. It was even planned for the 57s but with some improvements.

Several Packard historians have stated in books and articles that even though it was a first generation device with bugs it was largely successful. Again, it would be nice to know whose engineers did what because other articles mention Packard was disappointed in the implementation and felt that the Autolite work was somewhat lacking in design and build quality -- possibly due to the short lead time and lack of testing before being rushed into production -- but still disappointed.

Still other writers have speculated that overall quality was lacking because Autolite was also paying heed to rumors in the auto industry that Packard was all but finished and it was a short term deal because they would not be getting more business. Probably some truth to that as Autolite was reported to have destroyed some critical tooling shortly after Packard closed. Stude could not even order a stock of service parts because the tooling was gone.

The basic design of the unit lived on with many of the initial issues resolved or improved upon in the followup version used in the Edsel.

Posted on: 2022/9/22 11:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved