Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

No Optima 6 volt batteries to be found
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Any suggestions where to find a 6 volt battery to fit my 1928 6 cyl? My Optima has gone into a deep discharge and will not come back to life. I need a replacement but Optima still says not in stock but 'comming soon'.
Have tried all the ways to get mine back to having a charge but no luck.

Posted on: 2022/9/20 20:59
 Top  Print 

Re: No Optima 6 volt batteries to be found
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe 6-volt lead/acid car batteries are in plentiful supply. A 5-7 year service life could be expected.

Posted on: 2022/9/20 21:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I got my 6 volt Optimas from Advance Auto. They had to order it from their warehouse though. Took a day or two.

Posted on: 2022/9/21 7:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
I just did a quick Google search and this is what came up. Hope it helps.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20220921-091017_Chrome.jpg (203.40 KB)
2652_632b0d9bc0b1e.jpg 2220X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/9/21 8:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Summit Racing has best prices, overnight shipping, for Optima Red Top 6-volt. (800) 230-3030. 800 cold cranking amps.
Weight is the enemy in any car. Got nearly a decade from my last Optima in my '47 Super (356-ci nine-main engine w/ gear reduction starter), know of a fellow who got 14 years in his '41 Cad, and of a Cad V-16 getting by just fine with an Optima. Some folks run two, which is ridiculous, unnecessary.

Packard didn't make batteries, so don't fathom the love affair some have for heavy, off-gassing traditional batteries, but if you're concerned and take your '28 Six to a battery show, Jim's Battery Manufacturing (800) 426-7580 can supply fakey do covers and no one will be the wiser, if judging and chasing points important to you.

Amazon also has good prices on Optima, but they are a vile organization, treat their employees like dirt:https://www.newyorker.com/tag/amazon

Posted on: 2022/9/22 16:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
NAPA is still telling me they cannot get them. Optimas website says Coming Soon if you try to put one in your cart. If you purchased an Optima red top 6v in the last 2 months, please post a link.

Posted on: 2022/9/22 21:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you still have the instructions for your battery it will advise to connect the battery to another fully charged battery and let sit. If the voltage comes back up charge normally. I used this method to salvage Optima batteries that were dead. I also would leave the two connected and charge as a package.

Optimas don't like fast rates of charging which is why the 6 volt generator systems do pretty well with them. The instructions state that standard battery chargers are not preferred.

We had to use Optimas in dyno cars to reduce explosion risk when redlining motors for hours and hours. The high charging rates killed a lot of them.

Posted on: 2022/9/23 9:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Dr. Cole gives his usual experienced advice. Absolutely. Optimas like a slow, steady charge; don't get them hot.

An Optima tech suggested a CTEK UC 800 6V
charger, which i got. It's been perfect for the past 24 or so years. Shows orange when charging, green when charged. You can leave it on 24/7 week after month with no concern about overcharging.

BTW, if you're not driving your car for months at a time, it's a good idea not to just to blip the ignition to keep corrosion from the connections to the starter, to jounce, rock the car up and down for the shock seals, but also, as an Optima tech suggests, turning on your head and/or driving lights for 25-30 minutes, running the battery down, then immediately charging it. In other words, occasional deep cycling is good for any battery, traditional wet or Optima spiral wound matrix.

But never allow any battery to sit depleted, which fosters sulfation, death knell for any battery.

However, if you're home, best to drive your car once in a blue moon, even if, like us in the greater Bay Area, you have to get up at 5am on a weekend to do it, such is our hellish,unrelenting traffic, the nation's worst after only LA.

Posted on: 2022/9/23 15:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
If u dont want to parallel charge your Optima Get Ya this charger from HF

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-fully-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-chargermaintainer-63350.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+charger

Works great on 6 and 12 Optima

Posted on: 2022/9/24 8:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Just a week ago I got a 6-volt red top for my '48 from Advanced Auto. I ordered it on Monday afternoon, and they had it on the counter waiting for me by 11 the next morning. If that doesn't help you, check out your nearest tractor supply store. There are still a lot of old 6 volt tractors in service and I have had good luck getting 6 volt batteries from then as well as the thicker battery cables we need for the 6 volt cars. (I have not bought a Optima from them)

Posted on: 2022/9/24 17:50
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved