Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: gas tank question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I have used the POR15 as well. Still good after 5 years.

Gar

Posted on: 2022/10/2 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
29tons,

has their tank flash-rusted on the inside yet?

Posted on: 2022/10/2 20:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Another vote for POR-15, it's not super cheap but I've used it on several cars and the stuff seems really bulletproof.

Posted on: 2022/10/3 8:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
What do you do with the left over chemicals from cleaning and coating the tank? I usually take the tank to a Professional shop so i dont have to deal with the chemicals.

Posted on: 2022/10/7 4:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The sealer is still usable and typically gets drained back into the can. For the tank I’m working on, it was so filled with holes that the quart that came with the kit wasn’t nearly enough and none left over so I bought a gallon to give a couple more applications. Whatever is left over will seal the tanks on my two motorcycles.

I can’t speak on the POR-15 etch chemicals, but the type I use is biodegradable.

Posted on: 2022/10/7 12:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've cleaned and coated around five tanks with POR-15 over the past twenty years; never an issue with it other than price.

The tank that is in my '37 115c though would not come clean enough for me with the POR products so I took it to a radiator shop. They cut holes in it, cleaned it, welded up the holes and then sealed it with another product. Works very well. Cost about $300 for the work they did.

Posted on: 2022/10/19 19:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've cleaned and coated around five tanks with POR-15 over the past twenty years; never an issue with it other than price.

The tank that is in my '37 115c though would not come clean enough for me with the POR products so I took it to a radiator shop. They cut holes in it, cleaned it, welded up the holes and then sealed it with another product. Works very well. Cost about $300 for the work they did.

Posted on: 2022/10/19 19:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
From what I gather, any unused POR must be discarded after it's been applied but the remainder of the Hirsch product can be used again. Maybe propaganda but that's what it said, paraphrased here, in the Hirsch literature for their product.

Posted on: 2022/10/19 19:40
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
If memory serves, the old tanks were tinned inside and out , then the outside was painted . There was a company that did milk cans here and they did tanks as well. They also did steel boat tanks as well. Good luck finding a guy to tin milk cans now.
I have to deal with the tank in my 826. just started leaking.

Posted on: 2022/10/19 23:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've just put "Used" POR15 back in the can and resealed it.

Then used it again years later without any problem. A quart goes a long way.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 10:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved