Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ideas for engine cutting out under load.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Next time it stalls remove the air cleaner and and check that it has fuel. The carburetor's accelerator pump should give a nice healthy squirt of gas when the throttle valve is opened up.

If it squirts, try restarting and if it doesn't start your problem is probably electrical. If it doesn't squirt it is probably fuel somewhere between the tank up to and including the carburetor.

If it squirts and starts nothing is revealed. Next time it stalls repeat the process.

Good Luck

Posted on: 2022/10/14 17:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
I fixed it.

The radio noise suppression capacitor on the ignition coil was partially shorting and leaking current to ground when it heated up. I put an ohmmeter on it, hit it with a heat gun, and watched its resistance drop.

Removed the capacitor. Problem solved. I'll worry about putting one back on if or when I fix the radio.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 4:57
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even if you pulled your hair finding it, glad it turned out in the end to be relatively simple. Napa probably has a modern capacitor that will take its place.

In 55-6 Packard went a bit farther than they did in earlier years when adding capacitors and grounding clips. The coil usually did not get a direct capacitor in other years, relying on one at the ign switch instead. They might have changed location since the ign sw area is a bit more congested and the capacitor harder to mount on V8s.

If anyone else can use the info showing 55-6 suppression, here is part of a radio sheet that shows where and what was recommended done.

Attach file:

jpg  55-6 suppression.jpg (157.79 KB)
209_6499badcdeb2c.jpg 1920X1192 px

Posted on: 2023/6/26 11:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved