Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 front crankshaft oil seal intallation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
In the process of changing the timing chain on my 356" engine. I also purchased a new oil seal for the chain case. The manual says to use a specific arbor tool to align the seal and it's housing on the crankshaft. Since I don't own such a tool does this seal have to be installed so precisely or can I just eyeball the alignment and hope for the best? I obviously don't want the seal to leak and I might be able to fab up a tool but hoping that I don't have to. Anyone had experience installing this seal without the tool??

Posted on: 2009/4/22 16:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 356 front crankshaft oil seal intallation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't recall exactly how I did it on my 48 356 engine, it was about 30 years back, but I certainly did not have any special tool. And although I no longer own the car, I see it regularly and the seal is still 100% effective. So I think simple care and common sense should be enough to get a satisfactory result. Good luck with it.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dave, As you may recall it is a strange seal which is located in a special holder device. I am not sure how it is supposed to work but it seems that the holder must press against the crank gear when the chain case is bolted down and the seal against the back of the chain case. I suppose the seal and holder must also turn with the crank also as the holder is slotted for the crank key.Unless I am missing something...?

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember the details of the assy. It might be a rotating seal like used on AC compressors. It appears the tool is a spacer to roughly center the seal or cover because after that it asks to check with a feeler gauge.

I think a careful alignment by eye and maybe even make a spacer out of a small square of wood that is slightly less than the width between seal and shaft. Use the feeler gauge on top of the spacer in 4 places like the book says.

Think the important thing is that if it does rotate, it is not also trying to move side to side at the same time like if would if not well centered.

EDIT Is there a machined area inside the cover where it rotates & seals or just a pocket for the assembly and the sealing surface is somewhere else?

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My recollection is a cork ring in a steel collar with a slot for the gear key. Rotates with the crank and seals by contact with the timing chain cover. They may have used a similar seal right up thru 1954, quick check of the parts books would be revealing. If anyone needs a picture I can find the old one somewhere.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have assembled a few Packard engines (including 22nd Series 356) with this type of seal and never used the alignment tool. Up and down adjustment is pretty much governed by the oil pan gasket mating surface, leaving only side to side movement which is also limited by the clearance between the holes in the timing cover and the attaching bolts.
This is a simple type of mechanical seal that is spring loaded to press the circular cork insert against the inner surface of the timing cover. The entire seal assembly rotates and a thin film of oil between the cork insert and timing cover provides lubrication.

Brian

Posted on: 2009/4/22 19:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks for all the help. I can see how the centering of the seal would be very important if the seal rotates around the crankhole of the chain cover.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 20:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved