Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

DAYCOREP, 37Blanche, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Remodeling the Home of My Cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Some people decide to remodel their homes, I am over the next two month going to remodel my garage.

Eight years ago I built a two car garage 24ft wide by 24ft long. When I built I decided to build a wall down the middle of the garage. Then I insulated one half of the garage installing heat and air conditioning in this half of the garage, using this half of the garage as the work bay. Which I might add is were my Packard sits up on jack stands. The unheated side is were my Chevelle is stored.

Last year my Chevelle started running very rough, and I discovered that I had a burnt exhaust valve. I had good intentions of pulling the head last fall, but got busy with other things and then it got cold. This meant that I couldn't work on the Chevelle over the winter time. Other things came up this spring and summer which prevented me from pulling the head.

Since I now have sometime to think things over, and that even if I worked on the Chevelle, right now and got it back together most of the car showing season would be over with.

I have decided to take the next two months and remodel my garage. This will involve taking down the dividing wall and re-using the insulation and plywood sheating from this wall, to insulate and finnish off the other half of the garage.

Over the next two months I will taking pictures of my renovations of the garage and posting them in this thread.

Although this isn't about Packards, it is car related. I wish to share these improvements of the home for my two loved ones, with the people that come into this forum. I hope that this won't be too boring for all of you.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/7/2 19:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Remodeling the Home of My Cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
John, If I ever get the chance to build another garage, you can bet I'll be showing the pictures of it to all my friends here in Packard land.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 21:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Reworking your garage is a topic I think we can all relate to. We all want our garges fixed up in a way that allows up to work on our cars in a more enjoyable way.

My wife and kids have started calling my garage "Mantopia"

I just noticed Lowes has 8'x4' sheets of stainless pegboard for $20. I may just sheet my garage in those instead of drywall. Then again that may be way too shiney.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 21:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Garages are absolutely about Packards, almost all of us want a great space for our cars.

Posted on: 2007/7/4 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
This certainly is a relevant topic.

I can tell you first hand what a PIA it is to work on cars without benefit of anenclosed and climate-controlled space. The weather around here is just too darned fickle anymore. As the temps get up into the mid 80's, the humidity skyrockets, and I can't tolerate working on the hot blacktop like I used to.

Though I am still a long way from breaking ground for my own dream garage, I'd also like to remodel my folks garage, return it to the great space it once was for short-term mechanical work, but insulated for year-round work.

I do look forward to hearing of and seeing your progress.

Posted on: 2007/7/4 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day,

Regarding garages, here in Sydney Australia I have a 3 car garage but the back section has been converted into a bedroom w/- built-in robe. The front part, now a tandem, only houses the '38 120 Sedan of recent purchase while the back part is mainly filled with my elder sons living room furniture not to mention an aged accumulation of hard to part with junk!

But not for long as I've recently purchased another 120 this time a '41 Coupe on ebay from Idaho. So as the son is returning from his Europe trip I'll be heading to Idaho to inspect and pick-up the Coupe while back in Sydney the boy will be clearing the garage in readiness for it's arrival.

But with shipping to the west coast and shipping to Australia I don't expect to see the car down-under before mid-September at the earliest. However in the time that it takes to get here it's room will be suitably appointed.

Mal
38's are Great & 41's the One

Posted on: 2007/7/5 5:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Yesterday I started the process of remodeling the garage. I think that insulating a garage makes a more comfortable working envirment even when very hot outside.

The last two days here it has been in the very high 90's, and very unpleasant to be outside. The part of my garage that is insulated the temperature was 84 degrees. The temperature in the other half which was uninsulated had to be around 100 degrees to dang hot to work in. Even though I had only two fans running while working in the insulated half, it was comfortable working in that portion of the garage. I feel that with the 10,000 btu air conditioner that I have plus the two box fans, that I should be able to keep my 24ft by 24ft garage very cool and comfortable, even on the hotest days of summer.

To heat the garage in the winter time I am going to be installing 18ft of electrical base board heat. When I am finnished insulating the garage. I will have put R19 insulation in the rafter spaces. On the wall I am installing R13 with one inch foam sheet insulation over this. I will then finnish off the walls with 7/16's osb particle board.

Over the weekend I will be posting pictures of my work on the garage, that took place over this last week.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/7/10 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Last week I started work on the garage and here are some pictures of the garage before starting renovations.

The first two pictures are of the bay that is uninsulated and the divideing wall in between the two bays of the garage.

The last two pictures are of the work bay that is insulated. On this side of the garage is were the Pakcard is stored. In this bay I have installed some of the comforts of home. It is equiped with a stero, tv, ac, and electrical heat.

Later in the week I will post more pictures of the remodeling that is taking place.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (52.29 KB)
105_469c0dd3daa9d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (55.30 KB)
105_469c0e233a1c1.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (34.38 KB)
105_469c0e64b2316.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (40.98 KB)
105_469c0eaf7a891.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/7/16 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Nice

Posted on: 2007/7/17 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Here are some pictures of the work that I did over this last weekend. I cleared the wall of the stuff that was hanging there. I first put R13 insulation in the wall studs, then put 1 inch foam sheet insulation, which has an R4 insulation value. Then I started taking sheets of plywood off the divider wall and installing them on the outer wall.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (50.09 KB)
105_469d64eb8cd41.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (42.72 KB)
105_469d65489e8cf.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (42.11 KB)
105_469d658b24ee6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (43.07 KB)
105_469d6602a722d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/7/17 19:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved