Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 105

29tons, indhd20s, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing/replacing front, knee action shocks on 49 Custom 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings All, Has anyone recently replaced the front, knee-action shocks on a 1948-49 Custom 8? I need advice on how to keep that coil spring in place once the shock is being taken away...any help will be much appreciated. Any general advice, thoughts about the whole procedure would be most welcome as well.Thanks Michael

Posted on: 2022/10/21 13:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Removing/replacing front, knee action shocks on 49 Custom 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
A general rule anytime your messing around with springs under tension would be use a spring compressor. It's just a nutted all thread with ears you put inside or out to hold the spring coils compressed.
I'll have a look see, when I go to the garage and see if any other ideas. Mine are connected but exposed/fenders off.

Posted on: 2022/10/21 14:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Galahad,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '49 Custom Eight in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/10/21 18:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If one kept the weight of the car on the lower control arm, the coil spring would not be an issue would it??

Posted on: 2022/10/22 9:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hello. I have done this on my 49. Method 1: You can make retainers from 4 pieces of box tube, and 4 lengths of all-thread (1/2 or 9/16), per side. Have 2 of the box across the top of the chassis rail, the other 2 running F-R under the lower wishbone. Do the nuts up while the weight is on the springs. This way you can lift the car for other work if you need to. Method 2: support the car under the inside of one of the lower wishbones, remove the pivot blocks, lift the car and the spring will drop out. without much fuss. The do the other side.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/10/23 7:32
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings Jim,

Thank you for the response. I will look to see if I can find a set of spring compressors....somewhere. My thought, without experience to confirm, was/is that if the hydraulic floor jack is beneath the coil spring...that is should remain stable...if no weight is on that arm to which the shock is connected. Any thoughts on my thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks, Michael

Posted on: 2022/10/23 11:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For maximum leverage, the stand should be as close to the drum as possible, preferably under the knuckle. Putting it directly under the spring is not the best place for it.

That said, spring compressors should be easy to find or even to order online.

Posted on: 2022/10/23 11:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You DO NOT need a spring compressor. Just put a jack stand on that corner of the car and let the weight of the car compress it.

See post #51 on my blog.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=50&topic_id=4307&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Posted on: 2022/10/23 12:50
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings, I do appreciate your response. The 48-50 shock is connected in a different design from yours...I do not know if you have seen/worked on that design...as I must do this alone, I need to be absolutely certain that when the eccentric cam comes out of the upper control arm, that the spring will stay put...and it is likely that to get that cam back in, I will have to raise or lower the whole assembly...so any further thoughts would be welcome...again, thanks for the time/help. Best, Michael

Posted on: 2022/10/23 20:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved