Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 119

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seat covers for 200 deluxe
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
My first question of many to follow I'm sure. Does anyone make seat covers for Packards? My front seat is charcoal grey/light grey. 1951 Deluxe touring sedan. My front seat bottom is in sad shape and if someone makes seatcovers it would be easier and less expensive than an automotive upholsterer. Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 22:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Seat covers for 200 deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I've seen recent aftermarket seat covers before so the answer is surely "yes" though it's not that common...

I would ask SMS Auto Fabrics if they can make some. More than likely you could get it done locally.

Posted on: 2022/10/25 0:00
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If it's only the front bottom I'd look at upholstering just that item. places like SMS and Hirsch will send swatches of closest match

Posted on: 2022/10/25 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only way to get something original looking or at least near to original would be to have it done by SMS or buy NOS or repro fabric from them or maybe Hirsch and have a local upholsterer do the work.

At one time Kanter offered a made to order seat cover kit using modern fabrics but others have recently said they no longer offer that service. I don't know for sure but maybe worth a call to them and see if they have suggestions. Other than that, I suspect anything aftermarket you find will probably be a generic one size fits several vehicles seat cover made from modern fabrics and in a limited color selection.

Posted on: 2022/10/25 9:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Automotive Interiors says they may be able to make replacement seat covers using modern materials for some cars. Whether that includes any Packards I do not know. They ask that you send them a "replacement seat cover inquiry". Have not done business with them but they might be worth a try. If you are trying a short term fix to protect your original upholstery until you can do better, buy you a piece of vinyl upholstery material of sufficient length and width, some strong cutting shears, a hog ring fastener tool, and some hog rings, and go to work. That is what I did for my front seat bottom in my 53 Clipper. The result may not be beautiful or authentic but it does provide some protection. Some universal type truck seat covers may also work. Check width and length. Again, may not be beautiful or authentic but does provide some protection. Most universal car seat covers for cars of recent manufacture seem to be too small. Again check width and length. SMS upholstery material and skilled local shops would probably yield the most original, authentic look. Hope that helps!

Posted on: 2022/10/25 10:02
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Per everyones suggestion I sent an inquiry to SMS. We'll see what happens now.

Posted on: 2022/10/25 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recently saw a vintage vehicle with what looked like the old pattern type seat covers. Discussions with the owner revealed he used outdoor furniture material and had an auto trim shop make the covers. They looked great, no pattern to match and had the period look. Just a thought...

Posted on: 2022/10/26 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is not a bad idea for a reasonably fast and inexpensive option. If new original type upholstery fabric is problematic, NA, or delivery is a long way out slip on type seat covers in various fabrics was an authorized accessory. If the antics my brother and I got up to during boring car trips are any indication I would bet there were a lot of Packards in the day that had seat cover disguises over unfortunate "accidents". Some could still be around today.

Here are 51 and 52 offerings to give you an idea.

Attach file:

jpg  51 acc.jpg (228.98 KB)
209_6359657845604.jpg 2406X1110 px

jpg  52 acc.jpg (225.86 KB)
209_635965828418f.jpg 2086X1248 px

Posted on: 2022/10/26 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved