Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front seat 48-50 repositioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hello; all you 48-50 lovers. I have a question. Has anyone moved the front seat back for more leg room (beyond the normal travel) At 6' 4" 250 lbs, I find the leg room is just not adequate for me. My knees feel like they are up to my chest, it is very uncomfortable. I am so surprised that a large car like this one is so small on the inside. People must have been much smaller in the forties.

My 56 has more than enough room for me. I don't even have the seat all the way back when I'm driving.

I have not taken the seat out yet, and age has taught me to ask first, not re-invent the wheel.

Dave O

Posted on: 2022/11/3 18:59
 Top  Print 

Re: Front seat 48-50 repositioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others have moved the seat and it can be moved fairly easily as it attaches to the floor with studs having 4 nuts and washers underneath the car on each side. I would suggest a good application of penetrating fluid on the studs for a day or two before trying to remove the nuts. On the top side there is a heavy spring attached between a hole in the seat frame and a tab welded on the transmission tunnel. In addition to drilling new holes for the attachment studs you will need to reposition that tab or make another arrangement to attach the spring.

If you have an underseat heater how far you can move the seat will depend on whether it hits the seat frame. If it clears, depends on how much you want to see exposed. It is not that easy to reposition the heater because of the plumbing and particularly if it is the type where the motor body extends down thru a large hole in the floor. Same with carpet as there is probably only a few extra inches in front before unfinished floor is exposed. If a two door also consider how much rear seat passengers need to enter and exit. Also, on some models you need to watch out for the power wire(s) at the drivers side rear corner that go to the cigar lighter and any courtesy lights in the seat back.

You may need to add extra metal under the floor. Most Packards have a strip of heavy gauge stamped steel plate welded to the sheet metal where the seat stud holes are located to provide a reinforced area. Depending on how far you move the seat you may run out of reinforcement and need to add some extra. Do not skimp on this part as any crash and the nuts and ordinary size washers can pull right thru unreinforced sheet metal.

Posted on: 2022/11/3 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you still have sufficient headroom, you might want to put some wood blocks under the seat tracks. That will stretch your legs out a tad. I have always found the seats in those cars a bit low.

Posted on: 2022/11/3 21:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe before going through all the trouble, check that the seat is going as far back as it should and not binding anywhere. I can’t speak for 1948-1950 but on my 1939, I discovered the hard way that with the seat all the way back I could not even reach the wheel much less the pedals!

Posted on: 2022/11/3 21:32
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Dave, I am only short (6'1) and I am thinking about moving the the seat in my 49. But if you think a 49 Packard is squeezy, try getting into an E type Jag. Another good Packard feature is it will get better gas mileage than a V12 E type too.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/11/6 1:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
I should point out I have never owned an E Type, and wouldn't have one as a gift! I just work for a guy who restores them. Would rather work on a Packard any day.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/11/7 1:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I love the E-type. You need a lift and a sturdy rolling powertrain table to make life livable. Once I was driving an E-type and a school bus load of kids saw me on the clover leaf. They were all pressed against the windows gawking at the thing. When I came onto the highway I dropped into third, floored it, and passed the school bus doing 90 while waving my right hand. You have to love a car like that.

Posted on: 2022/11/7 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you all for your input. Yesterday I pulled the seat. The bolts were pretty new and shinny, no problems. There is no under seat heater to worry about. The seat was all the way back. after measuring I believe I could get another 4 inches rearward by making a steel plate, bolted to the original holes, with bolts welded to the plate from underneath sicking up for mounting the tracks four inches rearward.
The spring mounting shouldn't be a problem I can just drill out the hole for the spring attachment, and put in an eye bolt adjusted to the added four inches. I never thought about lifting the seat up, this would also give me more length. I will have to experiment a bit. As far as rear seating is concerned. Yes only very small people could ride back there. But I'm the only one who drives the car, so its not a big deal.
As far as the Jaguar is concerned? well what can I say, I never had the chance to squeeze into one.

Thanks; Dave O

Posted on: 2022/11/8 18:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved