Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

WTB 356Ci Block
Just popping in
Just popping in

prouddavid
See User information
A potential issue with the existing motor has me in search of a replacement block.

I'm looking for an early 1940 356 Block.

Thanks again

Posted on: 2022/11/6 10:57
 Top  Print 

Re: WTB 356Ci Block
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have several, but they are all post-war.

Pity that.

Posted on: 2022/11/6 11:50
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you specifically want the early 40 block because of the correct letter in the motor number then there are limited options but if you are just looking for a block in better condition you might consider some of the later production engines. I believe revisions started with the 42 block but definitely the postwar blocks all have the revisions listed below.

The 356 underwent numerous early plumbing, filter cartridge, and canister changes pertaining to the oil filter and lifter gallery oil supply due to an intermittent noisy lifter issue. Later blocks have a cast in port on the block for the final version of the filter plumbing change rather than needing to drill and tap a hole in early blocks (if not done back in the day) for the revised filter return as detailed in the Hydraulic Valve Tappet-- Super Eight article in this service letter.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL17NO16.pdf

A bigger issue is early blocks also had a jiggle pin to control pressure and bleed air from the lifter oil gallery. There were some wear and low oil pressure issues with that arrangement so if you do require and find an early 40 block be sure to check the condition of the pin and hole. Later blocks, I believe starting with the 42 casting, replaced the pin with an actual valve assy as detailed in the Low Oil Pressure article in this service letter.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL20NO1.pdf

Posted on: 2022/11/6 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I recall seeing a 1940 356 engine for sale on eBay maybe a year or more ago. Claimed to be rebuilt, as I recall. Seems the fellow wanted the price of a college education for it.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 7:53
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved