Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

Jack Vines, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Black Paint
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Something I've always wondered, did pretty much every year have a black (code x) option?

I've just noticed that most of the paint chip sheets don't show black, except when used in a two-tone configuration, but I've seen many black cars. So just wondering if black was always a standard color and black being black they just didn't list it on the chip sheets?

Posted on: 2022/11/7 10:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Black Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It shows up on the list but not on the chips. However, all blacks are not equal. How is that for a double entendre? We had problems matching original cars because the Packard black was much darker than currently available paint.

When it was polished up the Packard black was like looking into a bottomless pit. I saw a video the other day on junktube and the guy starts raving about the paint job on the car and how deep it looked. The host says "That's because it's a lacquer paint job. You can't get that depth without lacquer." I rest my case.

Posted on: 2022/11/7 10:14
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Understood on that. Did every year include a black option? ⚫️

Posted on: 2022/11/7 10:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I believe so. While there are different casts of black (blue shade and brown shade), in production they are all about the same. I was in a modern factory that made spoilers for Chrysler, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Ford. The black ones were all painted from the same drum of paint.

Posted on: 2022/11/7 18:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think it's a question of semantics. In the data books they list two tone options as a combination two "schemes" - for example scheme "X" black and scheme "Y".
So even though they don't explicitly list "X" it is still there. Anectodtaly, I can't recall a year where I haven't seen a black painted car.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 10:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved