Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine swap
Just popping in
Just popping in

Peter
See User information
Anyone know if a '48 327 will fit a '47 clipper deluxe that had a 282?Is the newer engine too long for the engine bay?What about the '48 transmission.Will it fit the the 282 or is the bolt pattern different?Thanks

Posted on: 2022/11/13 17:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Know? No.

Think so? Yes.

Wat scored a 359 which he intends to shoehorn into a '47 Clipper six with a '47 Deluxe as a pattern and (I hope not, but possible) donor. That said, at the rate that projects have been happening around here this month, staying tuned to this space for further details might get boring.

If I weren't nursing the flu, I'd volunteer to go and measure a '51 327 and a '41 282 and see what I can tell is different or not.

Sounds like a good project.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 7:45
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Seems I've heard mention of a service bulletin on this swap.....

Posted on: 2022/11/20 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John wrote:
Seems I've heard mention of a service bulletin on this swap.....

The only specific article I remember in replacing engines of that era is replacing the discontinued 356 with a later engine. There were a number of items that transfered between engines as well as some mods to parts and new holes that need to be drilled in the crossmember to accommodate the different length engine.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL27NO7.pdf

There were also followup articles a few issues later on some changes in the procedure and some new parts that were made available so original components did not need to be modified. You might be able to get some ideas from that procedure on what is needed to replace a 282 but since the engines are a bit different I think there are still some things you would need to figure out.

I believe but will not swear to it that the transmissions will bolt since they used the same trans design until 54. The only significant case difference I recall reading of is the addition of an extra pair of mounting holes in the 48 case redesign so earlier side mounts could bolt. You might check the parts manual to see if there are any years the same parts were used.

Driveshaft may be an issue as is since the length of the bellhousing could be different and might move the transmission a bit.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Peter
See User information
Thanks to all for your insight.It sounds like too much trouble for me to try to cram a bigger engine in.

Posted on: 2022/11/24 18:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved