Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 57

37Blanche, kevinpackard, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 paint scheme for Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Each paint manufacturer had their own color chart. I would guess that Packard bought paint from the lowest bid.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 19:42

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard almost exclusively purchased their lacquer body paints from Rinshed-Mason.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Dell wrote:
Wat;
The the dashes on open cars are painted, I only saw wood graining on the sit you listed.

Take it up with the creators of the link, who appear to be the sainted Packard Club. Wat is just the messenger.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 7:27
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I was finally able to locate a photo of John Orientas's all original 1941 120, but it is only an exterior shot taken at an Eastern Packard Club event sometime in the 1980's. As I recall, the dashboard was painted green, and the interior plastics were color keyed to the interior in green as well. I'm not sure of the shade, but my thought is that the dashboard should match the upper body color. The top of the dashboard is in line with the hood which would be painted the lighter color on a two-tone car. Painting the dash in this color as opposed to the darker lower color would blend in better and look more harmonious. There is a 1941 Packard 120 Convertible Sedan now for sale in Hemmings where the dash matches the lighter upper body color. See link below.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/120/2629616.html

Attach file:

jpg  41_120_JohnOrientas.jpg (115.31 KB)
225503_637a7209af26b.jpg 1300X1020 px

Posted on: 2022/11/20 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Nice sardonyx clipper in the background

Posted on: 2022/11/20 15:33
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
That 1955 Clipper was a totally original, low mileage Panama hardtop. It had less than 50K original miles and had never been restored. Paint and interior were exceptionally well preserved. Definitely one of the best original V8's in existence. At the time this photo was taken, it was owned by Eastern Packard Club (EPC) member Rocky Rolfing. Rocky later sold the car to fellow EPC member Roy Beavers of Shelton, CT. Roy passed away about 10 years ago and his family sold the car after his death. I don't know where it is now. I don't recall who owned the '56 Caribbean in the photo, but the woody was a 1940 120 owned by EPC member Nils Skog. This was a really beautiful car. I have more pictures of it. Nils passed away a number of years ago and I don't know where this one ended up either.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 16:16
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

I had a 1941 160 sedan for about 5 years that needed more help than I could afford to give to it. It was painted an attractive, plausible but unauthentic color. The original upholstery was under much needed seat covers. I spent a lot of time trying to guess what the original colors swere. On this site you will find the parts book, dealer book and dealer bulletins for 1941 . They all have color schemes but they do not re not exactly agree. . The color schemes for the open cars' paint, interior, and top are fairly specific.

The 41 and 42 Packards were available with a few "Riviera" combinations. The interior does not have the traditional wood grain and broadcloth, but interior paint , plastic and two tone interiors coordinated with the exterior paint color. I have seen this on open and closed cars.

The Orientas 120 convertible coupe is one of these. I last saw it on line maybe 8 years ago located in Illinois .

Jack Behn's 180 formal was sold to someone in Ohio, I remember seeing a picture of that , too. 39Packardsix will remember that Jack let me drive it partway to the centennial in 1999 on Route 80. It was dead silent and smooth, the only way to tell the speed was to look at the speedometer. Jack was not a slow driver.

Nils Skog's wagon has changed hands a few times. The last time I saw it was ago the Greenwich Concours about 10 years ago. I surmise it wa for sale as it was being driven a restorer who also sold cars.

I moved the 55 clipper for Rocky one time at a show. The car behaved as if it was an electric, it was absolutely smooth and silent. After Roy Beavers owned, It was sold to another member of the Eastern Packard Club , who bought a number of EPC cars and moved to Oklahoma. He was killed in an accident maybe 3 years ag0 and a lot of them were auctioned off in the last year or 18 months

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2022/11/21 16:26
 Top  Print   
Hate (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved