Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
1942 Packard Clipper with air conditioning. Extremely rare car. Still has all of the a/c stuff left in it except for the compressor. The motor turns freely but has some stuck valves. Really rough. Asking 2000 or best offer
because the ac is well worth that.
Located in Culpeper Va
You can call me at 5409377787
or check it out on facebook marketplace under packards for sale

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_E0577.JPG (196.67 KB)
168722_6375688601030.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/11/16 17:49
 Top  Print 

Re: 1942 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did not find your listing so it may not be up yet or available to me since I am not a facebook user.

If you have one, could you post a photo of the engine drivers side particularly if there is anything left of the compressor mount or any empty holes. If there are remnants of how they ran the under hood lines and relocated the oil filter when the compressor occupied the space a filter would typically be mounted any info on those items would also be appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/11/16 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information

Posted on: 2022/11/16 20:02
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the link. The one engine photo did answer the question about the filter location but brings up a couple more. Would be nice to have another view showing more toward front of engine and battery side area of engine compt to see where the hoses routed to the condenser.

The AC car filter location toward the middle rear on block makes me wonder if you could get Electromatic which was new and being promoted in 41-2 models along with AC. Just like the compressor messed with the usual filter location the relocated filter looks like it would use the space needed for the EC control valve.

Posted on: 2022/11/16 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote: Thanks for the link. >snip<
Any old time!!! Least I can do . . . .

Posted on: 2022/11/17 6:29
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's sad to see this car in such poor shape. We sold that car to a guy in Ohio in the early 1980s. It only had about 44,000 miles on it at the time. I doubt it has much more than that now. My brother took his driver's license test in this car in the 1970s. We took the compressor off to get rebuilt, but for some reason we never got it back. I still have the mounting bracket on my basement shelf.

We are the ones who put the postwar front bumper on it, too.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 10:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That really is sad to hear because having AC would make it a somewhat rare car. Maybe the guy fell on hard times or lost interest but it is still sad the car did not get passed to someone else before the damage.

If you have the time and chance or, if like my storage, can even reach the item could you post a photo of the Clipper mounting bracket. For myself, I am curious exactly how and where it was bolted to the engine. Information on the compressor and mount for conventional body cars is plentiful while information and engine photos of Clippers seems much harder to find. Actually any information on the switch to the drivers side in Clippers is a question and seems to be an unmentioned or at least unanswered subject by any of the Packard writers.

Since they already had a proven and reliable mount on the passenger side and used the same engines in the Clipper am really curious why or what the benefits or reasons might have been to spend the money on a redesign to change sides. Not only did they need a new mount for the compressor they also had to relocate other components to make the change and in the case of the EC, maybe even made one of their newly introduced options unavailable in combination.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 10:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Thanks for the link. The one engine photo did answer the question about the filter location but brings up a couple more. Would be nice to have another view showing more toward front of engine and battery side area of engine compt to see where the hoses routed to the condenser.

The AC car filter location toward the middle rear on block makes me wonder if you could get Electromatic which was new and being promoted in 41-2 models along with AC. Just like the compressor messed with the usual filter location the relocated filter looks like it would use the space needed for the EC control valve.

I have the original compressor mount that was on the car in the OP. Do you need to see a photo of it?

Posted on: 2022/11/17 11:19
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just for archive purposes it would be good to have a photo or two because there seems to be almost nothing available on how the original Clipper compressor was done. A basic overall AC illustration in a parts manual shows some of the plumbing layout and a photo showing the back of the compressor and tiny bit of exposed mount is all the Clipper info I could find.

Personally, I would be very curious to see what Packard did with the mount and bolt locations. I made a mount for a modern compressor using the one partial photo I could find to try and get the basic location correct. It would be interesting to see if I got any of it right or where things could be improved.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I thought it was in my basement, but my initial search came up empty. Might be at my office. I'll continue to look.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 12:12
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved