Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pulling the valves
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
I’ve compressed the valve spring but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the keeper out. What am I missing?Resized Image

Posted on: 2022/11/19 10:03
Catch me on Instagram @rockabillydad or @pastironworks
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Re: Pulling the valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Tap the valve from the top with a rubber mallet. It should slide down with the keepers. Remember to plug the oil holes with a rag or something.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 10:20
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Tap the valve from the top with a rubber mallet. It should slide down with the keepers. Remember to plug the oil holes with a rag or something.

I already tried that and I can’t get the valve to come down. Guess I need to put my purse down and try again. 😂

Posted on: 2022/11/19 11:45
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might make sure the slot or opening in the spring compressor is large enough that when the keepers are positioned on the valve stem they can still pass thru or that compressor is not positioned off center and one of the keepers is still locked and being caught on an edge of the slot.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Check the tool most are adjustable for size of valve spring diameter to allow the keepers to clear the the tool when used Both the ones I have are adjustable for different springs

Attach file:

jpg  IMG20221119143453.jpg (154.83 KB)
252_63794dd0304d3.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/11/19 16:42
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Thank you for everyone helping me! This is such a great community! I got it sorted out and am making progress. Here are a couple fun videos I threw together so far:

Part 1

Part 2

Posted on: 2022/11/19 18:55
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
A handful of the valves are in pretty rough shape. Would the recommendation be to replace them, weld/grind the existing ones or just reinstall them, lap them and hope for the best?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2022/11/20 13:10
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I think it depends on who/what you have access to, but new valves are available from Max and Kanter.

I imagine that the seats under those valves need dressing up at a minimum as well.

The biggest issue you have with valve and seat work is the clearance between the valves and the hydraulic tappet has to be within a certain range. If you grind the valves or the valve seat down too much, the clearance can become too small. Basically, if you grind the valves you want to grind the ends to maintain clearance, and if you grind the seats you need to check the clearance as well.

There is a gage, J-4540, to measure the tappet clearance. I was able to get one of them from Pacfic Northwest Packards, it's not listed on their project page but they still had them last year.

Pacific Northwest Packards Projects and Info Page

Also you can get the tool from Max Merrit, look for J-4540R.

Max Merrit Gage J-4540R Hydraulic Tappet Clearance Gage

Also there are instructions in new lifters from Kanter that show how to take a lifter apart and turn it into a gage.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 14:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
So two of the lifter cylinders do not want to come out of the tappets. Any ideas of doing this without tearing up the tappets?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2022/11/21 7:38
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
If you can rotate the engine by bumping the starter, that may help.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 10:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved