Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What is this Packard?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I don't really know my pre-war Packards that well, but what year and model is this? I can't really place it.

Attach file:

jpeg  OnTrailer Large.jpeg (102.54 KB)
1_637aa03899fae.jpeg 1280X721 px

jpeg  OnTrailer2 Large.jpeg (110.74 KB)
1_637aa046ad527.jpeg 1280X721 px

jpeg  Interior Large.jpeg (105.97 KB)
1_637aa04eb6ac8.jpeg 1280X721 px

jpeg  Front2 Large.jpeg (113.32 KB)
1_637aa05892e8d.jpeg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2022/11/20 16:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: What is this Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Or above

36 door handle up front

Posted on: 2022/11/20 16:55
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
My head hurts.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 16:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
It is definitely a 1937 115C convertible coupe. The rear mount spare is non-standard and was probably taken off of another make of car from this time period as an owner customization. Have to admit it looks pretty nice. The '37 115C spare was stored in the trunk. The 120's had optional fender mount spares available at extra cost. Otherwise, the spare was in the trunk as on the 115C six cylinder model.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 17:36
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Looks like it has 120 headlight buckets (chrome rib on top) and 120 bumpers (note center groove). But the short hood with the stamped louvers identify it as a 115C. The 120 hood had chrome louvers and was 5 inches longer.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 17:56
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Wasn't Darrin's first Packard effort a modified 37 conv.coupe?

Posted on: 2022/11/20 18:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Flackmaster: I think you are correct, however, to my knowledge, all of the early Darrins were based on the 120. Also, the body modifications were much more extensive than in the car in the photo. The Darrins all had the distinctive "Darrin Dip" in the doors, for example.

Posted on: 2022/11/20 18:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I do believe I see french cleats in the background........

Posted on: 2022/11/21 7:30
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The other shoe.....

So, I know the story on this car, but it has enough mismatch of parts and custom bodywork to make people scratch their heads looking at it. So I thought I'd have a little fun before I tell the story about it.

So this 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe (1089) came from the estate of Mark Lambert in Nashville. The car was stored out at his "farm" in Southern Indiana.

So why is this car interesting and important to me?

So circa 2005, I was watching this show called "Classic Car Restoration" on the DIY network. It was hosted by Mark, and he was doing a restoration on a 1938 Packard Coupe. Before then, I'd really never ever even heard of a Packard. So I watched his 9 or 10-part series on restoring this car, and he made the process very logical and approachable. You can find the series on YouTube if you give it a search

So after watching that, I started poking around on eBay and found my '54 and bought it for $500. The rest, as they say, is history. Watching that showing started me down my Packard journey, and through that sprung PackardInfo.

So without Mark doing that show, there would not have been a PackardInfo.

I'd met Mark a couple of times in person at various meets, and I had told him how his show inspired me to get my Packard.

So Mark sadly passed away earlier this year, and his wife Leslie is in the process of settling the estate.

One of the cars is this 1937. David Flack, knowing I was interested in another project, put me in touch with Leslie an I had told her this story about Mark's show starting me down my Packard journey.

So she thought I should have this car, and so here it is.

Now I'll cover everything about this car in a new project blog, but in a nutshell, this car was a conglomeration of spare parts and donor cars.

Mark had restored many cars over the years, both professionally for customers and personally for himself. He was also a Judge at Pebble Beach. So he had done many perfectly restored cars.

This car was not meant to be that. This was meant to be a fun play car. His interpretation of a 50's era hot rod that was found in a barn.

So he put together whatever he had in extra parts and applied the patina to play the part. It has custom body work done to the fenders (front and back) and running board delete done to it, and he crafted that split rear bumper and fold-down spare tire. Inspired from a 36 Ford, David belives.

The other big change to this was that it has an early 60s Jaguar XK motor in it. (Twin overhead cam straight six). Mark also loved Jags, and this was a spare motor he had. So what better to power his hot rod?

So what the future holds for this, I don't know just yet. The plan is to sort the existing mechanics and then go from there. It has been sitting for probably two years and needs some mechanical freshening to make it at least drive again. Then lots and lots of bodywork and other stuff.

Right now, I am just feeling it out.

But it's a small world how what started as me watching TV on an afternoon in 2005 turned into this 17 years later, and I own on of the cars from Mark.

More to come on my project blog soon.

Godspeed Mark, and thank you Leslie, for letting me continue Mark's work.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 11:06
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can see my '54 behind it in this photo.

Attach file:

jpeg  20221120_144402 Large.jpeg (158.62 KB)
1_637ba2f8c4ebc.jpeg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2022/11/21 11:10
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved