Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 108

r1lark, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 140 »

Re: BigKev
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, thanks for that.

I think looking at the available options, as microswitch is my best option.

So I ordered a couple of NO/NC lever style microswitches from Amazon. They will be here tomorrow. Once they get here, I can whip up a holder/mount for the switch and to support/clamp the bowden cable in Fusion 360 and then just 3D print it.

That will keep everything neat, compact, and hidden. Also then if I need to modify it or add mounting tabs, I can do that easily in the software and the mount would cost less than $1 in plastic to print.

A plastic housing also makes it easy to "channel" the inner wire in the bowden cable exactly where I need it to reliably actuate the switch.

I'll post pictures of what I come up with.

Posted on: 2023/1/30 14:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
I Got a check on the splash rubber trim today.

It appears that my 2" was the width I started with and the actual clearance between frame and tin is about 1/2 " .

Hope this gets to you soon enough.

Was GREAT seeing the car out moving..

Took mine on a 85 mile ride today through Kitsap county Washington.

Posted on: 2023/1/30 23:51
Larry Reber
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perfect, thanks for that Larry. The rivets came in yesterday. So if I can get the garage warm enough, I will get the inner fenders painted and give them a couple of days to cure, then I can try to get the rubber made up for them.

I'll have to alter the passenger side inner fender to clear the intake horn for the SU carbs. The lip on the outer fender had already been relief cut to provide spacing. So the inner fender will have to be altered as well. Perhaps I can make up a rubber piece to cover the needed relief cut to keep the tires from throwing road grime through that area.

You can see where the outer fender was already cut in this photo.

Attach file:

jpg  20230105_163214.jpg (142.89 KB)
1_63d92cc3e2560.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2023/1/31 9:59
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Kev, on the electric choke switch - how about a simple pull type headlight switch? Attach the switch somewhere convenient under the dash, attach the Bowden inner cable to the end of the switch rod (of course, after removing the knob) and wire it up. The hardest thing would be figuring out a way to attach the Bowden inner cable to the end of the switch rod. The outer portion of the Bowden cable would have to be secured also.

Posted on: 2023/1/31 10:31
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Kev,

For what it's worth, according to Dar Kuehl's book, the inner fenders should be painted body color. May not be a big deal for you depending on how you want to present the car.

BTW, I loved the video of Nicolle and you cruising around the subdivision. You've come a long way in a short amount of time and should be very proud of your accomplishment. Good thing you didn't wait until today (-3 degrees windchill).

Posted on: 2023/1/31 14:29
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dezi, thanks! Yeah, it for sure got much colder over the last 48hrs!

I think I am going to paint them black (at least for now), as the exterior color, or even choice of color is still many moons away. Plus, I think the original color of this body was black.

The plan is to paint and clean up the engine compartment as much as possible. Painted surfaces are easier to keep clean, and black is the acceptable middle ground for underhood in lieu of the correct color.

Posted on: 2023/1/31 15:42
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Kulp
See User information
For what it is worth. The inner panels I believe were semi gloss black. The only way to verify this is, to find an original painted non black car. I always felt he was wrong on that,but how about asking Flack,what he thinks about this,then I will buy it.

Posted on: 2023/1/31 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Agreed Gary. I would certainly defer to Flack's knowledge on the subject.

Posted on: 2023/1/31 16:01
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the rubber skirting made up. Still need to flatten some of the rivet holes where they are a tad mushroomed. They give them a semi-gloss black paint. But otherwise, it was a quick hour job to template and make them up.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230131_174801_Gallery.jpg (253.24 KB)
1_63d9a98848b10.jpg 1898X1017 px

Posted on: 2023/1/31 18:51
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am in agreement with Gary Kulp. I had a NOS pair, semi-gloss black, not primer. Every original car I've ever seen has been black inner fenders.
Go ahead prove Gary and I wrong...we're waiting. We have about a hundred years headstart on looking....

Posted on: 2023/1/31 19:11
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 41 42 43 (44) 45 46 47 ... 140 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved