Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 65 66 67 (68) 69 70 71 ... 140 »

Re: BigKev
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The right hand rail does 1- R, and that rail moves rearward as one selects reverse. Just need to poke a switch in the plug at the back of the casting.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Looking at the Owner's Manual and wire diagram, I see the original "Panel Switch" is a three-position switch that controls the Map Light and the Panel Lights.

I've always assumed the panel lights came on with the headlight switch. What was the purpose of a separate control for them?

Also, the switch currently in my car is a two-position switch. Does anyone have a three-position switch laying about they want to part with?

Thinking of using that 3rd-leg to control the backup light, as with a cane shift, a transmission-mounted switch is not an option, and I want to avoid another switch under dash.

That's the way Packard did it on these models. Parking and headlights operated by the push-pull switch and the panel and map lights by the toggle switch.

The senior cars with cane shift had backup lights operated by a switch which was moved by the 1st - Reverse shift rail. The junior cars did not have this feature, but like Ross suggested you may be able to make something work like the seniors used. I think your idea of a three way switch may be easier to do.

The headlights are interesting with a city (both low) and country (both high) and a passing (left low - right high). How do you plan to manage this with your new headlight bulbs and reflectors?

Your instrument panel wood graining is beautiful.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for all the info.

The headlights are wired similar to post-war config.

I essentially bridged they terminals which are turned on in the 3rd and 4th switch positions.

Both the 3rd and 4th positions turn the headlight feed which then goes to the dimmer switch and then onto the bulbs.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I got the chome cane shifter, it was missing the rear plug on that rail I belive. Perhaps there was a switch there.

Now I wonder if I can locate one.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:09
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Also, the switch currently in my car is a two-position switch. Does anyone have a three-position switch laying about they want to part with?

Thinking of using that 3rd-leg to control the backup light, as with a cane shift, a transmission-mounted switch is not an option, and I want to avoid another switch under dash.

The automatic operation for backup lights is nice but John is probably right about the dash switch being easier.

If you are not set on having a toggle switch perhaps you could get a rotary switch and mount it under the dash edge in its place just as they did with the heater and defroster switches. If you got a 4 position rotary you could keep all the functions of the original toggle switch, off, dash, map and have the 4th position for the backup lights. You could even use a 3 position without an off and have center for dash with a right or left twist for map or backup. Just need to make sure the switch you get can carry enough current -- maybe around 5 amps to be safe.

Depending on the switch you used you could probably find a knob at Lavine to fit and match the heater and defroster knobs.

Attach file:

jpg  37 switch.jpg (178.21 KB)
209_64247282a8a37.jpg 1518X1186 px

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Probably the easiest option is to find the correct 3-position panel switch. Since the headlight switch already handles the dash lights, the 3rd leg on the panel switch can take care of the backup lights.

It appears that someone swapped a 2-position switch from a different year into this car at some point. So I just need to find the correct original switch that should have been there.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:37
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The switch in question looks like this, but with three terminals.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 693.jpg (52.20 KB)
1_64247b2e67913.jpg 908X802 px

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Out of curiosity, I searched the numbers on this switch, and it came back as a switch that was used on vintage aircraft. So this may have been an "it-fits" replacement as it does match the factory cutouts along the bottom of the dash.

Posted on: 2023/3/29 12:59
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the switch looks like this and its original part number was 327729, which superseded 315629.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 694.jpg (68.94 KB)
1_6425d2922b286.jpg 1264X954 px

Posted on: 2023/3/30 13:19
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dash panels reinstalled.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230330_200327_Gallery.jpg (194.81 KB)
1_642631a57a568.jpg 1920X864 px

jpg  Screenshot_20230330_200351_Gallery.jpg (169.98 KB)
1_642631b162c02.jpg 1920X864 px

Posted on: 2023/3/30 20:04
-BigKev

Top  Print 
LikeLove (2)

« 1 ... 65 66 67 (68) 69 70 71 ... 140 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved