Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 79 80 81 (82) 83 84 85 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I have a '37 120 C conv. coupe, and that area is covered by cardboard panels. The panels come almost against the lower seat cushion when it is in place. They are simple panels made much like the kick panels. They extend up to the rain gutter area and down to the seat riser either side of the cushion and back to just behind the lid hinges, then forward to the wooden bulkhead that closes off the area under the package tray behind the front seat. The panels in my car are repro, and the floor is covered with old fiber padding and a thin, textured mat. The last items are old and likely original.

Posted on: 2023/6/4 19:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, that helps. A few more questions.

Does that 1x2 piece come all the way forward and act as the bottom attachment point for the cardboard panel?

Trying to get an idea of what bolts to the square metal bracket where that bolt is.

Basically where secures the cardboard panels?

Posted on: 2023/6/4 20:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'll pull the rumble seat bottom cushion tommorrow and see if I can get a better look. I had the seat bottom out a couple of weeks ago, and it fits into place the same way the front seat bottom does. The rumble seat lid on my car needs to be adjusted lower at the rear to fit better. So far, I have not been able to get a look at the hinge attachment points to see if an adjustment is possible. I'd rather not disturb the cardboard panels, but I may have to to get at the hinge adjustment.

The cardboard is secured along its upper edges by the round headed spring push clips. Along the bottom and forward edges, it appears to be tacked to wooden framing.
There is another piece of the cardoard material covering the area below the lid latch. It has the push clips along the more exposed areas and seems to be tacked to wood at its forward edge.
There is a 3"X3" mouse hole-shaped opening on each side at the bottom of the pannels, about 1 foot forward of the lower seat cushion. I don't know what those are for, unless it would be for unless for a foot rail.
The panels seem to lack any insulation or sound deadening material, and there are openings from the trunk area into the rumble seat area on each side back of the seat, which probably allow a lot of noise and heat/cold into the passenger areas of the car.

Posted on: 2023/6/4 21:14
 Top  Print   

Re: BigKev
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
In mine there is a gap between the two 1x2s. I had sent you a set of images showing the wood. You have the split bench seat to allow access to the area through the front seat so did not think they were relevant, but the part you are asking about is the rear perch for the bottom strut that goes from there to the vertical strut that normally is used to attach the full panel behind the drivers seat. They also are used for the cheek panels to attach to.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Dr Side Wood Struts Installed-2.JPG (256.44 KB)
225215_647d4ca34c6c3.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  DSC03100.JPG (233.78 KB)
225215_647d4ccc0cb47.jpg 1920X1446 px

jpg  DSC03091.JPG (290.67 KB)
225215_647d4d0c07d3b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/4 21:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No worries, and not asking you to disturb your panels. Just didn't known if you remembered the extent of that 1x2 piece and it's arrangement. Also curious if the fasteners for the panels are visible so I can get and understanding of how and where It attaches. All of that was stripped away on my car.

Posted on: 2023/6/4 21:51
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Bob, that's helpful.

Going back to TxGoat's comments. Bob, do you see that "mouse hole" shaped cutout in your cardboard panels? Was there a foot rest?

Curious where these seat bolster panels attached on your car in relation to that framing.

Attach file:

jpg  20221121_075640.jpg (156.62 KB)
1_647d542b4fc8b.jpg 1920X1081 px

Posted on: 2023/6/4 22:19
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also Bob, I'd love to get some paper templates of any of the cardboard pieces if possible. That would help me tremendously.

Posted on: 2023/6/4 22:29
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, just for clarification. Are "A" and "B" inboard of "C", or do they attach to "C"? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't see any fasteners where they transect in the photo.

This is why I asked about the front seat bolster panels mine are currently attached to "C". If "A" and "B" are attached to "C' then the bolster panels would interfere with that.

Attach file:

jpg  BobsCarWood.jpg (252.14 KB)
1_647de501ac891.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/5 8:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have attached an image of the raw boards and their new copies.
'A' and 'B' ARE inboard of 'C'.
'C' is a separate trim piece that screws to a trim piece inside it against the B pillar. This set of trim boards are at the top of the image. 'B' was in perfect shape being away from any dampness so is the original board re-used. C is wrapped in upholstery fabric. It screws onto the part behind it that screws into the B pillar and has the door welt attached to it to form a sandwich. (See lower attached image.)
The Outer Seat Bolster screws right into 'C's inside face as well as to the floor wood through the floor pan.
'B' sits into a notch on 'A' so that their face surfaces are flush to attach the cheek panel to it. Note 'A' has a small 45 degree metal tab at the bottom to screw into the wooden body frame rail under the floor pan. I also made my package shelf in plywood and put a screw strip board on its bottom surface so I could screw the cheek panel into it for top stability. I then stapled my carpeting to it. As well, I used the trim edges surrounding the rumble seat opening to staple trim panels to that hides all the wood and blinds these boards.
(The horizontal board at the top of 'A' is the forward edge of the package shelf.)
Sorry, I had made my own bristol board templates but have been re-used in other patterns so are gone. All surfaces are flat so some care with scissors and tape will get you your own templates easy enough.
All of the trimming I did was of my own accord based on what I want it to look like, there was nothing on the car to use outside of the dry rotted wooden parts and scraps of welting so it is a coincidence if it is anywhere near 'correct'.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Old and new wood struts.JPG (278.72 KB)
225215_647df4acca2cc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  DSC03072.JPG (96.24 KB)
225215_647df4c34d6b5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/5 9:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob, thanks! That helps make things clearer.

Posted on: 2023/6/5 10:34
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 79 80 81 (82) 83 84 85 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved