Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 30

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Head nut/stud torque?
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
And, don't forget to retorque at least two or three more times after a few drives. The nuts will settle down after that.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Just a reminder, there is a limit as to how much can be milled off those parts before combustion problems set in. As I recall .045 on the eights and .007 on the V-12.

Given old, reused gaskets are working better than the reproduction stuff (no surprise) perhaps testing a solid spacer as is modern practice may be in order.

The surface area on the flathead is twice that of an OHV motor so the clamping force is lower. However, that doesn't explain why those low pressure cooling systems are leaking unless there is a combustion chamber leak.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 10:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Rockabilly wrote:
Alright, just to follow up on this, I just did a couple of heat cycles and retorqued each time. 4 times in total. Problem solved. With those new lifter installed it is whisper quiet under the hood and makes the magnaflow exhaust system I welded together sound even better.

I can’t thank everyone on this forum enough for their help and advice.

That's some damned fine news!!!

Posted on: 2022/11/26 19:26
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Todd said, you need to torque the head several times until the reading is consistent before adding coolant or cranking it over. Then, after running it to temperature and shutting it off, torque again while warm. I’ve always sprayed both sides of a head gasket before installation using Copper Coat after shaking the can thoroughly.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Be sure to check and retorque it a few 100 miles/months from now. They seem to need it for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 20:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved