Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Glass fuel filter location?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Hi Guys, My '51 200 deluxe is coming along slowly after sitting for over 25 years. Brakes were going well with new master cylinder, lines, hoses and front wheel cylinders. Came to rears and found I need a puller to remove the drums. Found one on Fleabay so that part of the project is stalled for now. Removed the fuel tank and it had a good 1/2" of crud on the bottom. 2 hours of spraying inside with a pressure washer got the crud out and the tank looks really good. I rebuilt the fuel pump so that should also be ready to go.
Down to my question, I had the bright idea to put a glass/ceramic fuel filter just before the fuel line enters the carb just in case something got by the screen in the fuel pump. It's a Carter filter and I thought if it wasn't factory original at least it would look period correct.
Upon attempting installation I find that anywhere on the vertical section of the fuel line it puts the glass bowl less than 1" from the exhaust manifold. Would this cause me problems like fuel boiling or vapor lock? Any alternative ideas on a fuel filter? Thanks again for your help. Chief

Posted on: 2022/11/26 14:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Glass fuel filter location?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Right before the carb is the correct place. They just removed the inverted flare tubing adapter from the carb inlet port and added a 1/8 straight or close nipple back into the carb port. Moved the adapter to the filter inlet, slightly rebent the tubing and screwed the filter on the other end of the added nipple. Not sure which filter you have but Packard did use a short bowl glass filter and if yours is a typical type sold today those are a bit larger and that could be why yours is closer to the manifold..

Today's gasoline is much more volatile than gas available then so there could be a bit more "boiling" activity due to heat. Whether it will be a significant change when the car is running and fuel is being replenished is doubtful. There may be an increased tendency for the filter bowl (and the carb fuel bowl) to empty out when the car is parked though. Depending on how often you start the car this could be an issue if the mechanical pump needs to pull a lot of fuel from the tank every time it starts. In many cases separately switched electric pumps installed near the tank have been added to help prime the carb before starting. This way the starter does not need to crank as long. For infrequently started cars a few seconds of the electric to fill th bowl and carb and then turning it off will often save a lot of cranking time.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 14:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
At some point the steel line from the pump got an insulator sleeve installed so something to consider. The steel line was unchanged whether filter or not so with the filter, a 1/8” brass pipe nipple connected it to the carburetor and on the inlet, a flare to 1/8” adapter was used, both commonly available today. The filters are easy to find too so if you don’t have one, check with Tucson Packards or one of the others.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 14:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You will probably not experience any vapor locking in the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor. The fuel in this line and the filter is under pressure. It is in the non-pressurized parts of the fuel system where vapor locking is most likely to occur. Still, keeping the pump to carb line as far away from the exhaust manifold is a good idea.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 12:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
My fuel line from the pump to the carb (with a glass fuel filter bowl) is uninsulated. I've never had any problems with vapor lock. I did, however, buy a new heat shield to protect the fuel pump from the heat coming off the manifold. My car was missing that piece, so Max Merritt provided a new one. They had to fabricate it. I do think that it has helped prevent vapor lock.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/11/29 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
That shield and a fuel pump insulation kit should help.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 13:40
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If your looking for a filter assembly, try Tractor Supply Store. They may have them as old farm equipment typically used the same filters.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 15:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Think I have the solution. I can use a 45 degree street ell on the carburetor, a 3" nipple and another 45 street ell. The fuel bowl will screw right on and the fuel line will go to the "in" side of the filter. This should put the fuel filter and line further away from the exhaust manifold and prevent any future problems. Should also make the bowl easier to reach for maintenance. Amazon had all the parts for a total around 15 bucks and 3 extra ells. Thanks for the help until I need it again. Dan

Posted on: 2022/11/29 21:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds good but --. Just make sure there is enough support either with something extra or via bracing the steel tube from the pump. Vibration along with the weight of the filter assy hanging out from the carb a distance could cause issues either with loosening a threaded connection or stressing and possibly causing the inlet on the carb casting to crack.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would go with the straight line connection first and change it later if there is a problem. The fewer connections the better.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 14:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved