Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door stop detent
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Do 1956 Packards have a detent door stop to hold door open. I have the stop which limits how far door can open. But I see no way or part that would hold door from closing when open. New cars have two places where door is sort of held open. My 57 has a stop that provides a little resistance to closing when open all the way. Check door part 424704 30.440

Posted on: 2022/11/30 11:02
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Re: Door stop detent
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
55's do, only to hold the door open completely.

I would assume 56's are the same.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 11:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: Door stop detent
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
55's do, only to hold the door open completely.

I would assume 56's are the same.

56 is the same. The detent is not terribly strong and was essentially the same mechanism as was used on all postwar models. The stop or limit bar that attaches to the jamb and slides into the door has a small raised bump toward the door side end. There is a flat piece of spring steel which has an end that is shaped to provide a catch and is part of the fixed in position stop and bumper mechanism the bar slides thru that is located inside the door. The spring steel rides against the bar. When the door is opened all the way the bump is pulled over the spring steel which then returns back into position against the bar where the shaped end is confined to a small space on the other side of the bump. When the door is moved to close, the spring steel increases the effort needed to overcome the bump and provides a bit of a detent -- but only when the door is fully open. There is no intermediate positions as was found in some cars. If the spring steel has weakened or is broken then the detent is minimal if there is any at all.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved