Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 96

Alvin14, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Clutch Petal Height
Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug 2
See User information
I have a 1936 Packard Model 1402 Standard 8 Limo. The Packard Owners Information Manual says " It will be noted that the clutch petal is held 1" away from the toe board by a very slight spring pressure, and that it is necessary to depress the petal at least 1 1/2" before the actual pressure of the clutch springs is encountered."

Does this mean that the clutch petal is not suppose to be at about the same height as the brake petal when it is not depressed? Instead only 1" away from the toe board (floor board) when not depressed?

Posted on: 2022/11/30 23:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Clutch Petal Height
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The shank of the pedal is held 1" shy of the toeboard to keep it from thumping when you take your foot off of the clutch. Later cars had a rubber bumper under the floor to that end.

The end result it that the clutch and brake pedals are at nearly the same height.

Posted on: 2022/12/1 7:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A common culprit is the booster piston that can be lubricated with petroleum oil. A second culprit are the brake linkages and can be adjusted/lubricated to prevent binding. If the chassis lubricator isn't working, they may be sticking, but do not put grease on any Oilite bushings.

Posted on: 2022/12/1 11:01
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug 2
See User information
The clutch petal inside of my vehicle is not at the same height as the brake petal. It is only a couple inches off the floor board. I am thinking that the clutch return spring underneath the car has gotten weak. I have not been able to locate a new clutch return spring. When you press the brake petal it has no problem returning to the correct height.

Posted on: 2022/12/1 22:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the return spring group 3.115 in the parts diagram Kanter lists it as available. If you need a different spring such as the large assist spring 3.101, no idea the difference between a Clipper spring and conventional body spring -- length or ends maybe -- but they may have it for conventional bodies too and worth an inquiry which means a phone call.

Attach file:

jpg  clutch.jpg (147.54 KB)
209_63897b796239d.jpg 1914X730 px

jpg  clutch1.jpg (120.69 KB)
209_63897bb97317c.jpg 1836X762 px

Posted on: 2022/12/1 23:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My gut reaction is, unless I had a parts car to pillage for said replacement springs, I think that I'd find my way to a box store, spend one Hell of a lot less money, and have it today.

Do car show judges look to see if the clutch springs are part number XYZ??? I sincerely doubt it.

Just sayin' . . . .

Posted on: 2022/12/2 6:50
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the pedal only a couple of inches off the floor, I doubt the problem with the clutch is limited to just the return spring.

Posted on: 2022/12/2 9:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That clarifies the issue. If you took the return spring off the pedal should be somewhat lower than the brake pedal. That is the pedal free play.

If you are lucky the clutch rod is wrong or needs to be adjusted. If that is the case clutch action should be partial and shortening the rod will bring the pedal height up. If you are missing the big round ball adjusting nut you may have the same symptom and will need to improvise a test mock up for clutch action.

If the car was previously completely disassembled there are spacers of different widths that will affect things if not in correct order. However, a quick check for internal issues is to disconnect the clutch rod and pull the lever against the fingers. It should approximately be perpendicular to the clutch housing. If it pulls way back before hitting the clutch fingers you have an internal problem.

Here is a picture of a 32 where you can make out the position of the clutch lever in the resting position. I don't have a picture of a 35-37, but the principle is the same.

Attach file:

jpg  945.jpg (158.48 KB)
373_638a0c2521c99.jpg 1404X1145 px

Posted on: 2022/12/2 9:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tim,

Know it's In your photo, what is the round "thing" hanging off the rear of the transmission? Overdrive?

For comparison, I've attached a photo of a '34 Chassis which doesn't have a "thing". Note, all the "extra" cross shafts and linkages are because it is a LHD car converted to RHD!

Attach file:

jpg  '34 Chassis.JPG (79.07 KB)
226_638a93e3d6123.jpg 876X657 px

Posted on: 2022/12/2 19:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tim.

Relax, no need to reply. Another Forum Member supplied the answer by PM, being: "No factory overdrive in 1932. What you see at the end of the trans is the speedo drive gear enclosure, same as in your photo but painted differently, followed by the older style universal joint. Other than the joint type, they are the same." Learned something.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 17:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved