Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Engine rebuild, help!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe it is 38 studs for your engine and the tightening sequence is below if you need it.

If you or your mechanic use a decent stud extractor they should unthread without too much difficulty. Be aware though that many holes go directly into the water jacket and seepage in the threads may have rusted the stud and make them hard to remove. It is even possible one or more will break. If any do break another thing to be aware of with your 48 22nd series engine is it may be one made in the time of the transition when the stud threads were changed. This article shows and mentions the difference so be sure to replace any broken studs with the correct item.

One wrong stud-hole combination will still thread but may leak excessively and the other wrong combo will not thread in more than a few turns without force and probable damage to threads or stud if it is forced.

Attach file:

jpg  stud.jpg (102.95 KB)
209_6398ebb04616b.jpg 532X1372 px

jpg  torque se.jpg (82.37 KB)
209_6398edfe486a7.jpg 1866X638 px

Posted on: 2022/12/13 16:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Believe it is 38 studs for your engine and the tightening sequence is below if you need it.

If you or your mechanic use a decent stud extractor they should unthread without too much difficulty. Be aware though that many holes go directly into the water jacket and seepage in the threads may have rusted the stud and make them hard to remove. It is even possible one or more will break. If any do break another thing to be aware of with your 48 22nd series engine is it may be one made in the time of the transition when the stud threads were changed. This article shows and mentions the difference so be sure to replace any broken studs with the correct item.

One wrong stud-hole combination will still thread but may leak excessively and the other wrong combo will not thread in more than a few turns without force and probable damage to threads or stud if it is forced.

Well that certainly is great to know. Thanks for your help! I’ll ensure I get the correct ones when they inevitably break. 😁

Posted on: 2022/12/13 17:06

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ve removed these before and it takes some effort but can be done. Although I did it by tightly jamming two nuts together, I understand that there is a stud removal tool that might make it easier. I’ve never used one so don’t know how well they work.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I used one of these stud extrators I got from autozone, though you can get them online. It was pretty easy on my 327, though I only used it on a couple of studs. It was much easier than the double-nut approach.

Autozone OEMTOOLS 1/4in to 1/2in Stud Extractor

Posted on: 2022/12/13 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After using many types of stud removers I've come to much prefer those of this type, this particular example by KD Tools. Just reverse the knurled wheel at the bottom to convert it to a stud installer.

Attach file:

jpg  KD 1708 stud remover.jpg (150.61 KB)
177_6399090216cc8.jpg 1400X929 px

Posted on: 2022/12/13 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hmm I’ll definitely take a look into these methods

Posted on: 2022/12/13 18:43

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may want to give serious consideration to having the machine shop remove the studs. They can easily break off, especially the ones that screw into a water jacket. Extracting a broken stud can be tedious, time consuming and stressful work. Good advice about the different stud threads. A couple of hours of machine shop time to remove the studs may be a bargain in the long run. However, if cost is a factor then the stud remover O-D suggested would be the one to use. Also, apply a good penetrating oil and allow it to soak in for a couple of days. Kroil is a good product for this. Some heat and impact vibration will also help, but this takes experience and care. Damaged threads will have to be repaired with Helicoil or similar inserts Good luck.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 13:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was going to buy one of the extractors of the type that Dave (Owen_Dyneto) suggested and may still do so but according to online reviews, it is quite bulky and requires space around the stud to work. That may mean starting the removal at one end, then working toward the other. It also marks the studs from the straight knurled device that grabs them. There are a number of other types of stud removers that, while more expensive, do not damage the studs at all.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The Autozone one does not damage the stud, if you make sure the "jaws" are operating on the non-threaded portion, which is easy to do in this case. It can also be operated "backwards" to act aa a stud installer. It is reasonably compact and radially symmetric.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, the Autozone tool is similar in functionality and appearance to those made by Snap-on and is quite compact. I was, of course, referring to the other type that Dave suggested.

In fact, I may have to use the Autozone or similar type on my 1951 as I see that some of the studs have been replaced by bolts and I would like to TRY to put studs back in without removing the head! I'm not sure if it's possible but worth a try.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 16:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved